3800Pro Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unplug and drive until you get the new maf. Not an issue as our cars are expected to revert to the tables for info if a sensor fails.

I would suggest against WOT or hard throttle until you have the sensor and the pcm can see true information.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
346 Posts
You know, a better throttle body comes with sensors and more HP... Just a thought... A repair is always a good reason to sneak in an upgrade!
That's why I was asking about the ones from Jet or Granatelli. If I go with a north* or something bigger than stock I would have to recalibrate the MAF tables and I'm a newbie at scanning. Also I don't know if this scanner can be used to change anything in the pcm. It's a Snap On graphing scanner MTG2500. I'll have to look through the manual for that info

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just found out the Jet & Granatelli will not fit the 3.8L, don't know why they list them like they do.:icon_redf:dontknow:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just found out the Jet & Granatelli will not fit the 3.8L, don't know why they list them like they do.:icon_redf:dontknow:
If you have a code or codes, copy those codes and then go to a good service manual to define that code. Once you have the code, using a gm manual check that for your code and it should give a full explanation of these codes. Once you have that, you should be able to find the culprit. IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A GM SERVICE MANUAL, THIS SHOULD GIVE A COMPLETE EXPLANATION. You can find a local library and look it up with there service books IF THEY HAVE ANY....... Too bad you are not near SAINT PAUL MINNESOTA. Our equipt would find that in a heart beat. If you have to, call a few GOOD SERVICE SHOPS NEAR YOU AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT AND LET YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON...... PS, ask them what expected cost will be! AND, stop guessing to make this problem go away or have the PCM edited for those codes......I do not recomend editing----- this may still have the root problem occuring even if the code is removed...... Jake

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you have a code or codes, copy those codes and then go to a good service manual to define that code. Once you have the code, using a gm manual check that for your code and it should give a full explanation of these codes. Once you have that, you should be able to find the culprit. IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A GM SERVICE MANUAL, THIS SHOULD GIVE A COMPLETE EXPLANATION. You can find a local library and look it up with there service books IF THEY HAVE ANY....... Too bad you are not near SAINT PAUL MINNESOTA. Our equipt would find that in a heart beat. If you have to, call a few GOOD SERVICE SHOPS NEAR YOU AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT AND LET YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON...... PS, ask them what expected cost will be! AND, stop guessing to make this problem go away or have the PCM edited for those codes......I do not recomend editing----- this may still have the root problem occuring even if the code is removed...... Jake
On another note, have you tried CLEANING THE MAF SENSOR??? This could solve all your issues if the code is MAF SENSOR RELATED............Best of luck and get back if you can............

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving me CRAZY --> "P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit Low Frequency"

So.. problem lies within the topic title. I've read countless forum threads about this code, yet, code still keeps coming back.

Car: 2002 Grand Prix GTP ~137,000 miles on it, only mod FWI.

Issue:
-P0102 is the ONLY code that shows up, everytime.
-Car runs fine with MAF unplugged, idle will bounce between 500-850 sometimes
-Car runs fine with MAF plugged in under normal driving, hard acceleration sometimes causes the rpms to increase, stick for a moment, increase, stick for a moment etc.. it will do that under hard acceleration 2-3 times up to 5-6 times.

Things I've done:
-Replaced PCV Valve
-Cleaned MAF, three times
-Tried a MAF that is in working condition
-Briefly checked over VAC lines, visual inspection for cracks
-Cleaned MAF connectors, checked wires for problems
-Cleaned throttle body
-Checked the MAF screen for debree
-Checked over FWI for problems, none (filter is only about 7k miles old, hasn't needed a cleaning or oil yet)

I have a hunch that the LIM gasket is going to need a replacement that I'll do on next oil change, though I doubt that would cause this code. It is driving me crazy, sometimes afraid to pull out in traffic due to the high RPM "choke" I don't want the car to die or choke enough I can't accelerate decent to keep up. PLEASE any ideas would help a lot!

-Edit
Some things I've read around on other threads that would cause this..
Overfilled oil / dipstick not seated properly -checked
Pull top O2 sensor on downpipe, reset code and floor car -UNchecked
EGR Flange leak -UNchecked
Clogged Injectors -Unchecked

Anything I haven't checked yet weren't a high priority on todays list due to being unsure how this pop a MAF code.
Hi there! My 2001 Buick LeSabre had the exact same issue... I am a professional auto technician and thru my research I don't even mess around, GET A BRAND NEW, (NOT A REMAN) NAME BRAND MAF SENSOR, it fixed my problem INSTANTLY right there in the Autozone parking lot. DTC light even went off by itself and car runs great now! Hope this helps

21 - 26 of 26 Posts