3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search function but haven't found anything about it:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=1145&catid=109

It's the first forced induction setup that I found for 3.8 F-Bodys without custom fabrication…

So what do you think about it?

Is it save to run 10 PSI of boost on stock engine? What supporting mods would you suggest?

My engine has about 116k miles on the clock and runs good.

I just wanna share the link and get some feedback from you :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
it is absolutely NOT safe to run 10psi on a stock l36. 6 to 7 psi max is what you would look for with out exhaust, and minimum rockers. They supply the over-the-counter tune. It also deletes your A/C which where I live is a deal breaker right there. You will also need injectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh maybe I was mixing something up, I can't find it anymore with the 10 PSI...

no idea how much PSI this kit does produce...

no big deal with the a/c delete... mine is already gone :icon_roll

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
psi setting is just inside the wastegate and you can get whatever setting you want via the spring :) ZZ will put whatever psi spring in it you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
psi setting is just inside the wastegate and you can get whatever setting you want via the spring :)

oh nice to know :icon_lol:

so in your first post you said 6 or 7 PSI on stock engine, what are the numbers you can reach?

or which internal parts were needed to build a reliable turbo setup?

·
Registered
6 Posts
it is absolutely NOT safe to run 10psi on a stock l36. 6 to 7 psi max is what you would look for with out exhaust, and minimum rockers. They supply the over-the-counter tune. It also deletes your A/C which where I live is a deal breaker right there. You will also need injectors.
Hate to disagree.

It is absolutley safe to run 10 PSI or more with this motor. We have run up to 28 making 634 WHP with this motor. Most run 12 to 16 psi just fine.

But the problem lies in this kit you have selected. For the most part, its not very complete.

If your serious about running Turbo, buy a Cartuning kit. They just released an F Body kit with a wicked tune putting more than 400 WHP to the ground.

However it is more expensive. But much higher quality and much more complete.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
a STOCK 116K mile L36 is what he said. A built prepped block will take 800+whp but that's not what he was asking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hate to disagree.

It is absolutley safe to run 10 PSI or more with this motor. We have run up to 28 making 634 WHP with this motor. Most run 12 to 16 psi just fine.

But the problem lies in this kit you have selected. For the most part, its not very complete.

If your serious about running Turbo, buy a Cartuning kit. They just released an F Body kit with a wicked tune putting more than 400 WHP to the ground.

However it is more expensive. But much higher quality and much more complete.

Cheers
CT turbo kits will never have higher quality than ZZP turbo kits. Your statement, "If your serious about running Turbo, buy a Cartuning kit." is backwards. When people get serious about running aturbo, they often sell their CT kit and buy a ZZP kit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
CT turbo kits will never have higher quality than ZZP turbo kits. Your statement, "If your serious about running Turbo, buy a Cartuning kit." is backwards. When people get serious about running aturbo, they often sell their CT kit and buy a ZZP kit.
x2!

·
Banned
887 Posts
x2, This is an Intense site so most of these guys are VERY sheltered.

You CAN run more than 10psi on a STOCK l36 with 113k, or 200k, or 250k. It's very ignorant to be posting information that is false, especially for this newb. Local ran 21psi on his STOCK l36. A LOT of people run 15+ on theirs, you guys just never hear about it because you belong to the wrong forum. Especially with comments comparing a CT kit to a ZZP/Stattama kit.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Okay yes you can run 10+ psi on a stock high compression bottom end with a ton of miles. Can you run a 200 shot through that same engine? Yes... SHOULD you? Probably not. Will your engine suffer and die a lot sooner? Yes.

·
Banned
887 Posts
honestly, with your knowledge on engines do you really think 100k miles is going to effect how much boost it can or can not hold? People start modding these damn cars at 180k, these engines can take it all day long. I put 125shot through my car as it was exceeding 110k miles. Even if the motor is at 250k, it still doesn't matter. 10psi isn't ****, and 9.4:1 compression is not "high" compression, 13:1 is high compression, but still doesn't keep people from putting boost into it. I have 9.8:1 compression putting 15+psi through it, and guess what? Yep, doesn't have any effect. The high compression just doesn't give you that little bit of help when something does go wrong. It's all in the tune, if it's tuned right, it will take a lot more than 10psi given the fuel it is running has the octane to suppress the detonation for the given psi and timing the car runs.

·
Banned
887 Posts
And any engine with modifications to get more "power" to exceed what it has been designed for will die sooner, that is straight up common sense. If someone puts down 500whp with an l67 and thinks it will last 250k miles, they're fools.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
High compression for the boost we push and on iron heads with stock pistons. The people that ask these questions aren't looking at a complete block tear down and proper prep build up or even know how to do a basic tune. I try to gauge my response person to person. If I'm talking to Dyno Brian or someone like you then I can get into removing the balance shaft, ARP half studs and smoothing out the oiling channels and such. If he goes and drops 10 psi on a ZZP tuned PCM on that engine we both know it's done for.

I realistically expect about 50-60K miles from my engine.

·
Banned
887 Posts
Really? I can show you proof of locals by me running 21-22psi on a completely untouched bottom end, oiling, etc. You need head studs, some gm head gaskets, aluminum intake gaskets, and that's it. You don't need to "prep" the motor to make sure it can handle 500whp. I hate to spoil your fun but zzp's drag car ran in the 8's, yes the 8's with a stock rotating assembly. There is no reason to build up these motors, anyone that does that is just tossing good money out the window.

·
Banned
887 Posts
Start reading, you'll quickly see that this site is not very knowledgable of what's going on outside of "intense" they are gone, out of the game. Nobody cares or talks about them anymore. They'll never be able to touch the car you will be reading about. period.

ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm familiar with Matts car, single turbo now. He's also on this forum. Are you saying that bottom end is stock?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm familiar with Matts car, single turbo now. He's also on this forum. Are you saying that bottom end is stock?
I ran a stock bottom end all the way to 750whp and an 8.65 pass at 159mph. After adding a 100 shot at Pinks in 2009, I ran the air/fuel leaner than intended and too much timing and melted the MLS head gasket and torched a groove in the aluminum head and messed up the block deck surface. The bottom end was still completely fine other then the deck surface. At that point, we felt that it was best to have a ZZP bottom end in this car since we sell them. With L32 rods and JE forged pistons, I turned up the boost a bit and put down 785whp. With a new turbo setup and different intake, we have now pushed this setup to 870whp. However, I still have yet to beat the 8.65 time because that run was as much as this car has ever been able to put down as far as traction is concerned.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure what you mean by everyone is sheltered on this site. Ive bought parts from everywhere, and Intense seem to be the best, far as service and parts. Far as ZZP they sold me a DHP tuner with no files. I talked to DHP they said not sure why they sold you that, we dont have files for your car. Spent $400 on a tuner with no files. Ive been buying Intense ever since.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure what you mean by everyone is sheltered on this site. Ive bought parts from everywhere, and Intense seem to be the best, far as service and parts. Far as ZZP they sold me a DHP tuner with no files. I talked to DHP they said not sure why they sold you that, we dont have files for your car. Spent $400 on a tuner with no files. Ive been buying Intense ever since.
I'm not sure what you mean about us not including files. Normally, the reason you would buy a tuner is to read your own file and modify it yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts