3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that every car is different, but how much KR have you guys been able to elieveate with the SS I/C. I have NOT been able to get rid of all of my KR on pump gas with the SAME size pulley. I don't know if my istall is incorrect, or if the kit was just hyped to perform beyond it's true to life expectations.

Please let me know what you guys have seen in the "Real World".

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prior to the Intercooler, I was seeing about 4.5* on the 3.0 pulley with normal pump gas. Now even after the pulley running a can of Torco concentrate at the track (104 octane) with the intercooler, i saw a spike of almost 2 degree's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
not tryin to knock this product, but a friend of mine has one on his car along with an xp cam, and slp headers, and I personally think the car flows more air than the ss ic can cool. He still see's 4 degrees of knock up top at the 2-3 shift. If you are more than a rockers headers car, I would say go for a full out intercooler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug,

What were his KR levels before/after the I/C? As far as I can see from the results, I am pretty disappointed thus far. Yeah, I lost 2+ *'s of KR BUT on the flip side of that, I was running Torco race concentrate. So which do you think reduced the knock?

I would really like to hear more reviews in the real world of this particuliar item before I cast judgement.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Joe do you have any scans? Or do know where your spikes come in at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Merc,

I'll have to see if I still have them on my laptop from our last day at the track a few weeks ago. Let me see what i've got and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah, it sounds like your car flows too much air and the IC can not accomodate for it.

You could try running Dual Radiators in Series to cool better, or even try a pushfan.

I have a custom IC that i built through a machine shop, and If you like contact me on PM, E-mail, chat, or phone (i'll give that through pm) and we can talk about an IC setup for you.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
1BADPRIX said:
Doug,

What were his KR levels before/after the I/C? As far as I can see from the results, I am pretty disappointed thus far. Yeah, I lost 2+ *'s of KR BUT on the flip side of that, I was running Torco race concentrate. So which do you think reduced the knock?

I would really like to hear more reviews in the real world of this particuliar item before I cast judgement.

Thanks,

he seemed to always hoover around 4-7 depending on the weather, in the south humidity is a bitch. Well with his xp cam, slp headers, stage 1 intense pcm, and ss ic he still sees about 1-2 degrees on the top side, and just recently saw 3-4 degrees. His a/f was measured on a wide band on a dyno so those were all in place and looked good, but like I said was still seein a bit of knock.

As I stated earlier if you have a stock cam I think the ss would work for you but if you are pushin a decent list of mods, more than pulley intake etc etc you should opt for the full version of an intercooler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running a stock cam, and am basically a highly modded rocker car. i wish there was some way for me to detect if I basiclly AM overpowering the SS kit with my setup. I never even thought this was entirly possible when purchasing the kit.

Hrmmm :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
brianteel said:
i was thinking of getting this....how do you think it is being over powered

heres what I think and Im no expert but It isnt that hard to understand. Your motor is an air pump. it moves air in and out. When you mod a motor it moves more air in and more air out. The ss i/c is a think intercooler, which doesnt leave a lot of room for the air to travel over and cool it. When a lot of air is being moved there just isnt enough space to help cool the air coming, the air is overpowering the ss i/c so to speak. You can put a faster pump, but then the water doesnt have enough time in the front mount heat exchanger to cool off enough to work properly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
brianteel said:
so a higher volume pump would be better
yes and no, the water will flow faster gettin more water through the core, but the bad side is, the water moves faster through the front mount heat exchanger, not giving it enough time to cool down enough, so you then get a cycle of hot water, turned into kinda cool water, instead of hot water turned into cool water. Does that make sense on the good and bad of a faster pump

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
Any chance we could see a WOT scan of a typical run before you pass judgment on your intercooler? You may well have an air/fuel or ignition timing issue in your PCM that is causing some of your grief.

whos this towards?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
dougsgtp said:
whos this towards?
I think Scott was referring to me. Yes Scott, I just found a scan that I can send you for examination along with a list of mods. Are you willing to review that for me and give your anaylasis?

Here's a link to my CSV file Scott. Let me know what you think...

http://1badprix.mccgp.com/McCann.csv

·
Registered
30 Posts
At 5900 RPM your car has sixteen degrees of timing, plus 4.6 degrees of knock. That means it is trying to run almost 21 degrees right there. My non-intercooled car only likes 14-15 depending on IAT's before I start knocking. It seems like you should be able to get more than 16, though, based on that.

Also, do you have an "IAT tricker" on there or do you just have a REALLY good cold air kit. I am not a big fan of the trickers, since as the temp goes up, your car should pull timing. If you have one, try pulling it and seeing if the knock goes away.

-Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am running a custom DHP with the Advanced timing control knob which allows me to advance or decrease timing from in the cabin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you use an AFC? If so, richen up your 9k just a little bit and it would probably quench that knock. Also, your LFT's are out of whack. They look to be pretty lean at idle (+16.4) and then as soon as you give it some gas, it goes to a more normal level. You might have a vacuum leak. Alot of SS IC installs didn't seal up good between the IC and the SC. You might check for a leak there. I had a leak from unter the snout. Those are my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts