3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone on here got zzp's new alloy heads and had them ported. what flow figures were achieved ?

thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would be interested to hear too. The guys in Aus arent giving any information, all is very hush hush for some reason here...

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
You know the only thing that bothers me about the idea of this is the two different types of metals. Remember when manufacturers started incorporating aluminum heads on cast-iron blocks and the problems with electrolysis and head gasket failures taking place. I don't know I could be all wrong but I actually prefer cast-iron as it's more stronger, tolerant, forgiving. Don't get me wrong I would have no problem utilizing an all aluminum block and heads' power-plant as these have been proven but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how Aluminum cylinder heads do on the cast-iron 3800.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Don't know, wonder how much demand for them?

I got one set of alum heads on the "road" (I got the right people together, and they did it.........) Maybe can talk to same people..... These heads, out of the box on a Olds 6Lish engine, decent cam, 3200-3400 lb race weight, comes in at 10.2's.... These heads are roughly 100 hp over highly ported iron heads, in out of the box form (zero, I mean no porting work at all). Needless the say the guy who did them knows cyl head flow well....

Isn't Zzp the only place to make alumin heads? Intense just cncs the stock cast iron ones don't they? If so thats saying a lot if cast iron performs better than aluminum

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think the zzp head is designed higher, like a race head, so that the radius (short turn) is larger.

however I was talking to YT and they said what the car really needs is off-centre heads with off-centre rockers (they were prepared to make some) but ZZP didnt want to do them

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
the tooling costs are astronomical so unless you have a serious customer base you will never make a dime. I wouldn't surprised if money isn't the real issue.

How many 3800 owners wold seriouly drop the $$ on a set? And if you spent $300K on tooling (honestly prob a lot more) how long to break even?

Most people bought 3800's for economy, or economy and perf, and prob aren't willing to drop $2k on a set of heads....Which makes it tough to get something good like a modern killer cyl head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
v6 3800 alloy heads

i would be interested to hear too. The guys in Aus arent giving any information, all is very hush hush for some reason here...
hi, I'm a aussiejust got these v6 3800 alloy heads and they are gatting ported now,will post h/p flow when done cheers....just got my second set of alloy heads they are going on a standard v6 3800 with 1.9 rockers and a terra super charger on lpg.... .120 head gaskets, only doing this because broke a arp head bolt..........got it going with standard alloy heads and standard ports,goes better on lpg and petrol, I think it would of been better if I had them ported

·
Registered
18 Posts
v6 3800 alloy heads

has anyone on here got zzp's new alloy heads and had them ported. what flow figures were achieved ?

thanks
hi,im putting these alloy heads on a 4.2 stroker with a 2.4 whipple supercharger will put up h/p when I get it tuned, should be good,,,,flowed 248cfm inlet= 462 h/p naturaly aspirated and 180 cfm at.600 on the exhaust..can not port them any more .038 wall thickness on push rod wall

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hope you have a lot of fun with it. Great to hear of serious performance from the 3800.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That is a lot of horsepower out of a little 230 cubic inch engine. You will be amazed at the seat of pants feel when you get into the power range of a matched cam for your setup.
Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
stroked,whippled ,alloy heads 3800 v6

thanks[/QUOTE.... hi just had my alloy heads ported and got 462 h/p naturally aspirated... I'm putting them on a stroker with a whipple s/charger

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the update! Fun to hear.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts