3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm running the ZZP stage 1 72 mm TB, stock f-duct and Intense 3.5" tubing to a 9" K & N in the fenderwell. I was thinking about ditching the f-duct and getting some 4" Intense tubing. Of course this would also mean I would need to get a new K & N with a 4" inlet. Would this benefit me?
Right now I'm seeing 18* timing, 10.5-11 psi, and 0-2* of KR. I figured it might be worthwhile to do at this point. Eh? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I say go for it. Ive been debating how to get my 4" filter to go from the fenerwell to the TB without having to hack out the whole brace of the fender.
-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Hey guys, its well worth it! You don't have to cut the brace at all. Get a 4"id rubber 90deg elbow and just bend the bracket down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Cut the bracket, that si what I did. I also have a 4" tubing now but I have the LS1 TB now. Even if you have a 10" tubing, its still going to come down to your TBs inlet. how ever big or small that is, that is all the air that is getting in. Personally id stay with the 3.5 tubing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Merc is exactly right. I have an 04', and although I have a 4" FWI, it has to be necked back down to 3" where it goes into the MAF. So from the MAF to the the TB, it's still only 3". Are there any aftermarket MAF's for these cars that anyone knows of? I know the 97-03's won't have any option like that, other than if they've converted the LS1 TB, but now that the MAF's come seperate from the TB on the 04's and up, I thought maybe there might be some aftermarket interest in making a larger MAF for these cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
NICETRY said:
Merc is exactly right. I have an 04', and although I have a 4" FWI, it has to be necked back down to 3" where it goes into the MAF. So from the MAF to the the TB, it's still only 3". Are there any aftermarket MAF's for these cars that anyone knows of? I know the 97-03's won't have any option like that, other than if they've converted the LS1 TB, but now that the MAF's come seperate from the TB on the 04's and up, I thought maybe there might be some aftermarket interest in making a larger MAF for these cars.
talk to Ron Vogel, i know he uses an LS1 MAF with a stock throttle body
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
What about the LS1 MAF's electronics, are they the same as on these cars? If not, how does he modify them? Also, the LS1 MAF is still only 75mm, which is roughly only 3" still. Even if you stepped up to an LS6 MAF, it's only 85mm, which is a lil closer to 3.5". I run a modified LS6 MAF on my 00' SS, but I also run a 90mm LSX TB and LSX intake. ;)

Supposedly, Pro M was going to build us a 90mm MAF, and bigger if needed, but nothing else has been heard about it. I wonder if they would build one for the GTP's? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
You are going to run into elictrical connector problems when you go using different MAFs. I have the LS6 MAF and it used a 5 wire connector and the one from the GTP harness is a 3 wire connector, so i have to run an adapter. Not hard to do if you knwo what you are doing or you can buy these adapter from vendors like Caspers or make yor own.

You do still need to have the MAF tables programed in your PCM as well.

85 mm is only 3.5'? My 4" tubing fits perfect over the LS6 MAF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Merc said:
You are going to run into elictrical connector problems when you go using different MAFs. I have the LS6 MAF and it used a 5 wire connector and the one from the GTP harness is a 3 wire connector, so i have to run an adapter. Not hard to do if you knwo what you are doing or you can buy these adapter from vendors like Caspers or make yor own.

You do still need to have the MAF tables programed in your PCM as well.

85 mm is only 3.5'? My 4" tubing fits perfect over the LS6 MAF.

Pace Parts actually sells everything you would need at a very good price. You can see it all here: Pace 85mm MAF's and harness adapters

As far as why your 4" tubing fits over the LS6 MAF is because the inside diameter of the MAF is 85mm, not the outside. The outside is closer to 4" and the I.D. is actualy a hair smaller then 4", so it works well. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I had a 3"id set-up similar to what i have now, i went to the 4" and noticed a very nice gain in performance! Think of it as an air storage device. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Lemme know if you decide to go with the 4" FWI, as I searched and searched to find all my parts for it, and actually got all the parts for around $65-$70. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NICETRY said:
Lemme know if you decide to go with the 4" FWI, as I searched and searched to find all my parts for it, and actually got all the parts for around $65-$70. :)
Well I've got 2' of the 4" Intense tubing sitting right next to me, and am waiting on the 4" inlet x 9" K & N to come in from grandprixstore.com, so yup I decided to go 4". :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
do a before an after dyno! looks like you need to do one anyways from your sig so now is ther perfect time, 2-3 runs before the intake install 2-3 after. do it the same day at the same shop! your car looks like is moves...fast!

peace!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
FWI Intake vs...whatever

Here is the question I always come up with when thinking about FWI. I understand the logic of taking in colder air from outside the engine bay, but isn't the distance and the bends the air has to travel thru to get to the tb too much to see serious benefits? On the other side of the argument is the engine bay too hot to keep the intake inside? What I tried was to eliminate the intake tube all together and attach a 4" by 9" cone filter directly to the tb. I didn't get any performance numbers on either setup so I can't tell you for sure which one is better. Just something to think about. :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top