3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a ’97 to ’04 GTP or GS, your car will run about 14.8 in the quarter mile in stock form. There are lots of variables here, but this is a realistic average based on our experiences. If you have an SSEi, your car will be about one full second slower. The Bonneville’s are only a few hundred pounds heavier, but they are slower for several other reasons too:

- additional weight (several hundred pounds)
- poor weight distribution for drag racing (things like the battery in the back seat, aluminum hood, aluminum control arms and aluminum front bumper all work to reduce the percentage of weight on the front tires, resulting in less traction during acceleration)
- larger front brakes (more rotating mass reduces power put to the ground)
- larger tires and wheels (increased rotating mass takes more power to accelerate)
- restrictive PCM (much more aggressive traction control system cannot be overridden by simply pulling a fuse; PCM will actually retard ignition timing if you try to power-brake the car)
- no Performance Shift function (so shift points are lower and shifts are slower)
- no air opening behind the headlight means that removing the headlight won’t give you any cold air

The Regal GS is slightly (a couple tenths) slower than a similarly equipped GTP, for some of the same reasons as the SSEi.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Merlin91/97 over on www.bonnevilleclub.com pulled a 14.9 with only a K&N drop-in in his 1997 SSEi. So they can be just about as quick as the GTP (every assembly person had to have the lay of their lifetime the night before though).
I tend to get the slow one's (with the exception of my old L27 SLE which pulled a 10.1 @ 74 in the 1/8). My 1999 SSEi never made it to a 1/4 track (well it did, but only when the races had been cancelled due to rain clouds -but no rain). I did manage a 9.794 @ 75.34 (2.35 60' -best 60' of the evening was a 2.231 on a 9.9 1/8) in the 1/8, and the mods were a 3.4", 180* tstat, TR55's, CAI, Magnaflow Wide Open 3" muffler, removed MAF screen, and Taylor wires. Had a vacuum leak which was causing up to 10* KR (0 KR after fixing leak).
Now my 1998 lightweight SSE only runs 10.3's in the 1/8 and 15.9's in the 1/4 (for now). Heading to the local 1/8 track this Saturday to see if I can pull a 2.2 60' (much better traction here than at Rock (Slippery) Falls, WI) and a 10.19-10.27 1/8. I should be able to do that based on my mph from my 15.9 1/4 run (69.5 @ 1/8 and 87.5 @ 1/4).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts