3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '06 GP March last year. Always liked the simple designs of the W-bodies, inside and out. Wanted a MC SS but kids came along so I bought the GP. Couldn't find a decent Regal. I really wanted a 7th gen GP but couldn't find a decent one for a good price without spending too much for repair cost. I almost bought a MC Jeff Gordon edition as I was a BIG NASCAR fan back before NASCAR brought out the COT cars. That's when I lost my interest. Anyways, why do you still have or recently purchased a w-body??

· Administrator
1,530 Posts
Short version: Had a GP of all 3 W-body types over the years ('89 Coupe as hand-me-down h/s car, '98 Daytona GTP in 2002 for college/after, '06 GXP as daily since 2013). I've accumulated just about everything 3800 under the sun that's no longer available for them, and I can finally afford to build whatever I want.

There's more forgotten about these cars than I'll ever remember, but just enough is still between my ears to make it fun. I don't suggest anyone get too invested in them beyond a certain point, due to many unicorn parts no longer being available/supported (I just drove 16hrs to get reputable ported heads, for instance). It's a shame, but I'm holding out hope that they get rediscovered as a solid alternative build option for hobbyists going forward.

· Registered
102 Posts
I kinda grew up being a Pontiac nut. Part of that being my uncle sold Pontiacs at a dealer local to where I was living. I always liked the 300gpx concept since I saw it at the '95 ny international auto show. I went to work the dealership when he became the sales manager. Drove a few 6 gen Grand Prix's and decided I wanted one. What really sold me was when I discovered the modability & aftermarket support of the w-body/3800 series II cars. I was coming from a '95 Grand Am 3100 which had virtually no aftermarket when the mod bug hit.

Nowadays besides Pontiac being no longer, its my "fun" car to toy around in and its relatively cheap to insure. All things considered my rockers are still in decent shape & my rear shock towers are still like new. I'll never get back what I put into it to make it my own. Its also part of 90's nostalgia for me. Its exciting to own a car on the verge of being a classic even though it may never be worth anything. I actually like driving it more than my much newer cars. As silly as it may sound for an old w-body it feels more connected with the road than these new cars over-laden with electronics.

Like dezl I hope these cars get rediscovered or at least the motor itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts