3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what a/r we are actually looking for in turbo specs. would a T3 be too small and a T4 too big? A T3/T4 hybrid seems like the turbo of choice for most vehicles looking to indulge in aftermarket turbos. Which one would compliment our motors the most?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im not exactly sure which turbo would be that best but Cartuning uses a T-04b, Matt at ZZP is using a T4 compressor with a different turbine i believe, and NU-LIne is using the HYBRID T4/T3, i know this doesnt exactly answer your question but it seems the T4 compressor is a common trend, but hopefully some of the vendors, will chime in and elaborate which turbo is actually best for our car

·
Registered
130 Posts
A T3/To4E, SC61, or T-62 would be well suited for our cars with room to grow. However, it depends on what A/R ratio you go with that'll determine when it spools, and when it stops making power up top.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ChaosStarter said:
A T3/To4E, SC61, or T-62 would be well suited for our cars with room to grow. However, it depends on what A/R ratio you go with that'll determine when it spools, and when it stops making power up top.

is the SC61 the same as a T-61, and if not how well would a T-61 work in our car

·
Registered
130 Posts
it's very similar. those are the recommendations i got over at turbomustangs.com. and those guys know their stuff.

as far as spooling, it's a good turbo that our engines can move. supra's use these and t-66, but their powerband is all topend, unlike our car (without serious work). with a smaller A/R size (.63 or so. at most a 81) on the turbine, we could see boost from 3200 all the way up. with some head work and cam work, higher than 6000rpm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A full T4 isn't too big, I run one and spool to full boost right around 3500-4000. I can't see how you could ever get traction on the street if you spooled much before that.

I'm running low 12's on this setup now, and I'm only running around 11psi intercooled. The compressor itself is good up to 20psi. The whole setup retains wonderful street characteristics, and I still get around 20mpg during city driving.

Getting something bigger like a T series T61 or T66 might be overkill unless you are planning low 11's or 10's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im receiving a T3 turbo for cheap. What AR should i be safe with? I wont know any info on it till i get it. Im not going to complain though, its only 130 and is in good condition. Any help?

·
Registered
130 Posts
if it's just a t3 turbo off of a older 4cyl chrysler or ford, then it'll be too small, most people use those types for civics and such.

G

·
I wonder why nearly everyone in the 3800 community forgets about their engine's roots in the Buick Grand National. I have been running a stock turbo from a 1987 Grand National 3.8 for just over a year now. I can tell you the stock GN turbo is PERFECT for the street driven 3800. At least on my Fiero, this turbo spools very quickly and makes maximum power between 2800 and 5600 rpm, at least with my mods, including a stock cam. This was good enough to propel my 3000lb beast to a 12.38et @ 110mph in the 1/4, shifting at 5800 rpm. Proof positive you don't have to spin the crap out of this engine to make power. Of course if you want a higher power band you can always step up to what the GN guys use like the 50 or 60 series turbos. The R&D work has already been done for us, I don't see why anything that works well for the GN crowd wouldn't work well for us as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The reason a lot of guys are going bigger than a stock GN turbo is because we don't weigh 3000lbs. Add at least another 550 to that, and you can see the difference. If I had a Fiero or something of similar weight, then it might be different, but that turbo just won't propel the GP as much and as easily as it will the Fiero.

And personally, I want something a little higher up in the powerband. I'm not looking for a highway queen, but I want something from the 3200 range to about 6000 or so.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ChaosStarter said:
The reason a lot of guys are going bigger than a stock GN turbo is because we don't weigh 3000lbs. Add at least another 550 to that, and you can see the difference. If I had a Fiero or something of similar weight, then it might be different, but that turbo just won't propel the GP as much and as easily as it will the Fiero.

And personally, I want something a little higher up in the powerband. I'm not looking for a highway queen, but I want something from the 3200 range to about 6000 or so.
exactly what i was thinking, also darth fiero said he makes power from 2800-5600 with a cam, from what ive seen most people who have a DHP or INtense pcm are shifting at, at least 6000 and up, i believe most of us GP guys are looking for a turbo thats good to at least 6000 :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I plan on using a power master 70 trim turbo. With the set up that Ill be using it should reach full spool by 3500 give or take a little. This is right where id like it to happen, you can get some boost to launch, but not blow the tires off and by the time youre out of the hole, you are in full boost and just rippin down the track

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive got a masterpower T66, and I love it. Power band starts at 3800 though, so thats why Ive got a 4k stall :). Peaks hp at 6150 rpm. Torque peak is at 4700.

·
Registered
130 Posts
dougsgtp said:
I plan on using a power master 70 trim turbo. With the set up that Ill be using it should reach full spool by 3500 give or take a little. This is right where id like it to happen, you can get some boost to launch, but not blow the tires off and by the time youre out of the hole, you are in full boost and just rippin down the track
On you getting on the GP at turbomsutangs? Just so you know, the INTENSE racnig car uses a T70 and you can see where that revs to and stalls at. The biggest I would go for us is a T66. A T70 isn't going to spool that quick for us.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well im not going to use the T3. Its in good condition so im just going to sell it on ebay and buy a T4. Im not looking for a monster turbo to propel me into the 11s. high 12s are fine for me on a non intercooled setup. when i get the tranny upgraded and fuel system worked out, then ill look at getting a t66, but not for a few years

·
Registered
174 Posts
ChaosStarter said:
On you getting on the GP at turbomsutangs? Just so you know, the INTENSE racnig car uses a T70 and you can see where that revs to and stalls at. The biggest I would go for us is a T66. A T70 isn't going to spool that quick for us.

if you build a set up right you can get it to spool fairly quick, My friend runs forcedinductions.com, check out his site. He runs the same turbo on his grand national and has a small cam in it, full boost is 17lbs at 3400 rpms.

·
Registered
124 Posts
dougsgtp said:
if you build a set up right you can get it to spool fairly quick, My friend runs forcedinductions.com, check out his site. He runs the same turbo on his grand national and has a small cam in it, full boost is 17lbs at 3400 rpms.
well according to your friends website, he should only need a T66. The compressor map for a T66 is fully capable of efficently running 30 psi at 6200 rpms with no problems. Plus, if some of us want to do custom turbo kits (like myself) anything bigger than a T66 will be WAY too inefficient at lower boost (less than 10 psi.). Now this is basing everything on the buick's chart he has up under the turbo 101 thing and i assume the buick's chart will be pretty close to what a GP will do. I dont think most of us will be hitting anywhere near 30 psi, let alone hitting 20 anywhere in the near future.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ChaosStarter said:
wont even a T-66 be to much for our cars, you have to take into our tranny's are going to take a beating,

·
Registered
174 Posts
8-Ur-Honda said:
wont even a T-66 be to much for our cars, you have to take into our tranny's are going to take a beating,

not when you have an intense tranny=)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts