3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know which rockers are better, between the SLP 1.8:1 or INTENSE 1.9 Gen3 i would like to here from people first hand and there results (as in quarter mile improvements, and hp) from using either of these, but of course opinions are welcome :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, for performance-wise, I would definitely have to say that the 1.9's will perform better. Just remember that with the 1.9's, you will also want to upgrade your valvesprings.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, thats what im worried about, I know i can easliy do the rockers, but changing the valves kind of scares me, i dont want to take the chance of droppin a valve or keepers, and i really dont think i want to go to a shop so they can charge me up the A$$ of install

·
Registered
19 Posts
The valves you can do yourself. Is not hard. All you need is some tools. Now, why is everybody using the 1.9 rockers? I think LT1s and LS1 the biggest they use is 1.7 .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually 1.7's are used for those that are using a cam and just want a little extra lift, as far as using 1.9's they give good results, plus ZZP doesnt have SR or ER rockers availible at this time

·
Banned
165 Posts
Also note that you should replace your valve springs no matter what ratio you go with. It's good practice. Would you really want to go back in later, after your springs wear out, and have to change them later? Or even worse, take out your motor because a spring broke?

Our 1.90 rockers are awesome quality, do not require the use of custom pushrods because of geometry changes, will provide the best performance gain, and they look cool. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
now i have a N/a 3800 series monte, with only a cold air kit and GMPP exhaust. if i were to get the 1.9 rockers, what else should i get with it? also do i need new pushrods?

·
Banned
361 Posts
I trapped 104-106mph with the GenI rockers and exhaust mods. You could save some cash and buy some used GenIs for ~$225. I had the rockers in for over 25K miles without any problems. This was with stock springs&shifting at 6K rpms, and while I never experienced valve float If I had to do it again I would get the 90lb springs. I think they are only $45 from GMPartsDirect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2000 GTP had 48K miles on the odometer when I installed the Gen3 rockers. I also have an Intense stage 1 PCM that allows higher rpm operation. I experienced valve float above 6000 rpm after/during highway usage. The valve float started within 1000 miles after the rocker change. Problem is not consistent on my car. The stock springs appear to be marginal with the 1.9 rockers.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have the gen3 but never had the springs replaced for stronger ones since this valve float was an unknown issue back then. Need to replace with some 105lbs soon. Valve float is a PITA this days.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The reworked rockers so far seem to be reliable on many cars. I found a low mile set of ZZP 1.95's for $150, and installed some new valve seals, and new L32 springs. So far so good, in total the switch cost me under $225; including new VC gaskets and rocker bolts.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, can someone tell me what else do I need to do a LS6 valve springs job? retainers? keepers? any special washers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts