3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've really been contemplating a true dual exhaust system for my '04 Impala Ls. Since I know very little about the companies that produce these products, which one's would you guys recommend? I'd like to see what the general consensus is. My dbA limit in my area isn't really clear on exactly how loud is too loud for motor vehicles. I'm using This page as a reference: Excessive Noise from Vehicles

To be honest I primarily want it because I think it would really add a lot to the look of my car. Also, I don't want one of those Faux pipe real pipe combo systems (I all too often see the replica cat back kits doing that)... I Gotta see Exhaust pumping out of both!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would go with the 3" stainless exhaust system that ZZ Performance sells. You would not be any better with "true dual" exhaust. And the install will be much easier. Their system is very well designed for fit and performance. I have that system on my GTP(highly modded). First time I drove it after installing this system, the engine had enough power increase to make the engine hit the rev limiter the first time I put the pedal to the metal!

For your looks, it does have a "dual exhast split/"Y" at the back of the car. Kind of like stock GTP's have from fact......only larger piping.

If you go with that system, get the resinator that is made for this system to keep the noise level down somewhat. You may also want to us quieter mufflers that that system comes with(you don't have to buy the mufflers if not required). I used walker dyno max VTs. They work well but do have that dreaded "DROANING" at certain crusing speeds/RPMS.

As lond as I brought up the "EXHAUST DROAN", has anyone out there found mufflers that are better with "DROAN CONTROL" without power lose?

Jake

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't expect the VT to drone but have not personally used one.The Dynomax super turbo's I have used have drone at the cruise rpm.I have remedied that with an x pipe and a resonator(s) if need be on other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes,I've heard in days gone by about the success of an X pipe helping with droaning(like you said at cruise). But for me with a 3" exhaust on a 3800 car, there's only ONE pipe till it splits at rear for dual pipes/mufflers with 2.25" diameter. So, there's no place for an X pipe in my case. I've done a little research on exhaust "droaning" and the MAGNAFLOW mufflers supposedly are good. If anyone else reading this thread had any input for this issue, please reply bout this. One thing for sure in my case is, when at crusing speeds and CONVERTOR in lock-up, it's pretty loud inside the car. If I tap the brake pedal or very slightly depress it(TO UNLOCK THE TORQUE CONVERTOR) at crusing speed, the slight increase in RPM is just enough to change the harmonics inside the exhaust and droan is gone. According to s few transmission guys I know, disabling the lock up function of the convertor will hurt the trans. So, muffler search is still active for me.

Hopefully someone out there has found a good fix for this. I really don't care too much about the noise but my wife hates it. She doesn't appreciate noisy hot rods! So, loose the wife or get mufflers........naw, don't answer that. Jake

·
Registered
21 Posts
My olds LSS has a single exhaust and I am going to a 3" down pipe to a flowmaster tapered reducer and a 2.5 resonator with the factory piping and muffler.Maybe a dynomax super turbo if I want more noise.
A resonator would be the best bet.A glasspack works well or choose from any available.The longer the case the better the absorption.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-R3025

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-MVR200S
I am using this on mine.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well, my ZZ stainlees exhaust system came with a 30" long resinator. I would hate to hear what it would be like without that! Well, I'd like it but no one else would. Heck, if I could get away with it, I would just run my headers open. You know, maximum efficiency and HP all at the same time. Or, if I could afford them, get a couple of electronic mufflers. These cam out several years ago but due to cost, primarily used in commercial vehicles like TRUCKS. The info I read about these was pretty cool. They work off electronics. Inside the muffler body are mini sensors that pick up and send signals to control unit which in turn generates a similar sound wave via electronics, a micro processor, and "speakers/sound generators". This regenerated sound cancels or neutralizes the sounds generated inside the muffler. This theory is extremely cool. The end result is no noise, an increase in power(no bafeling restrictions), and better milage. The down side is these are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. This is why it is used in commercial vehicles only. Maybe some day cars and light trucks may see this. Jake

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
One last thing bout that exhaust....I chose this system for it's horse power and torque results. Guess the bottom line here is you can have quieter or more horse power but not BOTH together with conventional exhaust. Makes one wish you could have one of those electronic silencers....... Jake

PS, you should hear my USPSA OPEN CLASS 38 super! When I let that one loose everyone leaves the range if it's an indoor facility. Outdoors, they use ear plugs underneath their muffs! Major decibels and gut shaking surrounding concussion. I personally use electronic muffs. Standard muffs don't cut it. Neither do the WALKER dyno max VT's.....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You know, as I remember the H body cars exhaust systems, you should eliminate the RESINATOR. Doing that alone will probably give you what you are wanting for more sound. The factory muffler may just sound pretty good at this point(when I first did this to my GTP it worked very good. The OE mufflers in my case were empty other than two openings for in/out. No baffeling at all. They were pretty loud but a little higher pitched tone.

If loosing the resinator works , you will probably save a few bucks! Jake

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie here. I just bought a 98 Bonneville SSEI that the previous owner had modded the exhaust. It currently has a resonator delete and three inch pipe from the cat back to a Maganaflow muffler. I have driven it many times on the interstate and there isnt really a drone of any kind for me. I LOVE the exhaust tone when the engine is right around 1500-3500 RPM. Anyways, Just my thoughts.

Thanks
Thom

·
Registered
28 Posts
I realize this is an old thread so idk if you ever did anything with your exhaust, but ill add my 2 cents. You can do a true dual exhaust on your '04 impala, but it will cost more & you will need to find someone willing to do it. You will also have to use smaller pipes to make it fit 2" maybe 2.25". There are a couple true dual setups out there done on w-body cars. The plus is you can put in an H-pipe or X-pipe and have a much more pleasant exhaust tone than the rest of us.

If you want to go more with a more traditional catback I swear by the SLP powerflo. Had it on my GP for about 15 years and still looks great & sounds pretty good imo. The only thing I did was add a loudmouth II as a resonator about 5 years ago and that made it perfect. Got rid of the bit of drone I had in OD on the highway. I also have SLP headers which may make a difference as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts