3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cam, anyone have any ideas what would be good for my current mods? 3.4"zzp MPS, CAI, 3" Downpipe w/ high flow cat, Tune, full 3in exhaust.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd say you need to expect to do a little more exhaust work before you'll see the full benefits of going to a cam. It all depends on how far you are going to go with the build the the popular cams are S1X from Intense Racing and XP-Hot cam from ZZPerformance.....I have the S1X and have been extremely pleased with it and with the mods in my sig I was able to muster 305whp/404wtq with the help of E85. I love the fact that the cam has a great powerban from 2600-6600rpm. I haven't heard much about the NIC cam but hearing some of the vids online of car that have them they sound really nice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Header are coming soon, was thinking about that s1x cam. I thinks thats what im going to do, that or some rockers. Right now its an everyday driver car, but i want it to have enough power for the weekends. Maybe 350hp is what i want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
350 at the wheel is gonna be damn near impossible with rockers. it's pretty hard with a cam too

s1x is a good choice for a daily driver

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, hitting the 350whp mark is going to be a lot of work...with the combination of heads, cam, and intercooler.....or just by simply going turbo. Keep in mind that with these cars 300whp mark the cars with a good 60' time are running the in the high 12's...pretty quick for a street car in my opinion

·
Registered
26 Posts
qick fwiw my car is the one linked from the zzp site

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm a big fan of the VS cam, though few people are. Next spring my goal is to hit 12.9 (already went 13.4 with 2.2 60' and needing a smaller pulley) non intercooled on the VS cam, before swapping to a gen 5 blower.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I run the VS. It's a beautiful cam and has the least vibration and best gas mileage..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
FWIW most that have had the VS want more and end up swapping it out for the S1X or the XP

my vote is the S1X as its proven to have a slight advantage over the XP

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the XPZ on non ported heads with the ZZP LS1 blanks and a Stock PULLEY on my GEN 3 M90 and made a solid 289/293 Whp/Wtq with 42lb injectors!!!!! Just saying...

It maxxes out at 7200rpms and starts to fall off. It hits about 11psi at that rpm. So I would say with better heads, intercooler, smaller pulley and a real exhaust(I was running stock exhaust!!!) you should hit 350-400ish easily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
whoa there, you run an XPZ on unported heads, make nice power on a stock pulley and hit 11 psi

smell that? i smell it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yah I was quite impressed myself. I am trying to figure this forum out how exactly to post images??? Text Font
This isn't the best dyno but it's the only one I could find you'll notice I was still running pig rich!!! This was just a ZZP can tune! Not bad TIM. The reason I'm making such good progress is the internals. I'm using a light wieght balanced and blueprinted rotating assembly with one off pistons made for my build by federal mugol each wiegh 8oz without wrist pin installed!!!! they are also only 3/4 thick with extra thin Moly rings. From start to finish including balance shaft delete I shaved 42.8879lb's off of my rotating assembly this equals great horsepower on stock heads, stock throttle body, horrible intake, ebay headers, stock exhaust, heatsoaking M90. They call Fred's dyno the dream crusher cause, well, it crushes your dreams!

I ended up pulling fuel and not touching timing for safety for the break-in and reached 289/293 WHP/WTQ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts