3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1. Intense Standard PCM
A lot of people add this after a pulley, intake, and exhaust mods and notice huge difference in how the car performs. If this mod had been done to begin with they would notice bigger gains from each performance mod compared to the next guy with a stock PCM.

If I could do every thing over again I would have started with this. I would have seen the full benefit of each mod as I added them instead of having to buy the PCM to get the cars computer up to par with the rest of my mods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you're eactly right. Especially with the 04'-newer GTP/Comp G's. The stock comp. in our cars are horrible. A PCM swap should definitely be the first mod. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I added my INTENSE PCM after I did a pulley swap and a wizair CAI.

Noticed huge gains going from one to the other. I am very satisfied :)

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned with would be the higher shift points without rockers or a cam. You will be out of your powerband for a bit before the shift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't got to the PCM yet. I've done several mods and am very happy with the way the car runs on just regular 87 :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
disturbedjoe said:
I haven't got to the PCM yet. I've done several mods and am very happy with the way the car runs on just regular 87 :)
When you get a PCM, you'll love the power gains. It's awsome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't mind one but I really don't want to spend the extra 20 cents a gallon, its expensive enough

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone here:

Yes, you will be out of your powerband before the shifts for a bit

But you will love the gains from a new PCM. Then when you get rockers or a cam, you can enjoy it all over again!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
while I would like to agree...I can't. It is definitely top 3 though.

#1. Exhaust mod - Ubend, resonator, 2.5" all the way, and either mannies or headers.
#2. PCM
#2.1 Pulley
#2.2 CAI

I believe you will feel the increase of any mod after the exhaust work. If you can't flow, you won't go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will have to disagree, the Intense PCM was tuned for certain mods ie 3.4 pulley, CAI/FWI and catback exhaust. There are probably some mods that I left out but you can find the recommended mods for the Intense standard PCM on their web site. Sure you will notice a difference w/o the mods but you will definately benefit more with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive got a 99 gtp and i just ordered the slp gtx exhuast, thrasher cai with the powerstack upgrade, and the 3.4 pulley. Right now the next mod im looking at is the pcm..id been planning on going with the dhp standard due to some things id heard on the other forum. As much as yall talk about the great benifits of the intense pcm..im starting to wonder..should i go for the standard intense? hows it compare to the new pcm/scanner offered by dhp? im not sure how much ill be doing past adding the pcm..ram air hood...supporting mods..and possibly the lowering kit and new struts. so im not sure if i really need to tune and scan all the time. looking for some info and some thoughts...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would always go with exhaust first...TOGs and a custom (cheaper) or topical catback....Whats the sense of pushing it in if you cant get it out?

Rockers then or a cam is better. Then a pulley...Do you PCM last to cover all your mods. Unless thats all your going to do.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What mp112ROB said. Do the exhaust first. It's the single most expensive upgrade you will do, with headers and all. But, it's the only way to make your pulley, pcm etc. come alive. Most people have a smile on their face when they see what getting that restrictive factory exhaust off does for they're cars performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts