3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this forum dead or is it inactive?
Most of the members that I get to see on the threads are new members just like me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fairly dead. See the "Roll Call" thread, for a few more comments on it. Many of the owners who set the path for 3800's have moved on the the last 10-15 years, so it's sparse for informed info. If you wind up doing any work on one of these setups, you'll either want to keep it light and go off the vendor's recommendations, or dig through the remaining few places people exist (here, grandprixforums, regalgs.org, FB, etc.). Not a fun reply, since my experience of participating during the peak of this community after modding these cars became popular (~'02-'06) was a great time to learn from the experts who built and broke these engines every way they could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many of things I read (and I spent hours, days even) reading as much as I can about this platform. I have some money and while I thought about buying a GP with a Series III Supercharged engine, I don't want to pay that much for the cars that dealers tend to keep.

That said the cars under $1,000 all have serious issues. In California I don't have to worry about rust, but cheap cars have serious mechanical problems that I can sort out, but when you add the cost of having it towed from it's location and the work needed to make it a reliable daily driver, it's just not something I want to spend money on ATM.

So I've put that on the backburner.

All the information is valid except for the mostly invalid opinions about twincharging. There are positives and negatives to everything, but to say that twincharged cars will never make the power of a single power adder car is just plain wrong and that's all I'll say about it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kinda out of left field with the twincharged thing (it's an intriguing setup that would be extra effort/cost to get right, but fun to see another big swing at, like Zoomer did). High performance is cubic dollars no matter how you chase it, so I don't doubt any setup can be pushed far with enough put into it.

I agree about how hard it is to find a properly priced car to get in a 3800 now. Thankfully, I've gotten lucky coming across mine over the years. If you're uncomfortable with the price, avoid it until you see one you can accept the car/cost. It's a personal choice based on your situation/plans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kinda out of left field with the twincharged thing (it's an intriguing setup that would be extra effort/cost to get right, but fun to see another big swing at, like Zoomer did). High performance is cubic dollars no matter how you chase it, so I don't doubt any setup can be pushed far with enough put into it.

I agree about how hard it is to find a properly priced car to get in a 3800 now. Thankfully, I've gotten lucky coming across mine over the years. If you're uncomfortable with the price, avoid it until you see one you can accept the car/cost. It's a personal choice based on your situation/plans.
There are some clean cars for sale, just not at the price I am willing to pay. I'll get around to a W-body. I have my eye on two Cobalt SS Supercharged, one is local to me, like down the street. Initially he wanted $1,500. I got him down to $1,000, I may show up with $500 cash and pick it up.

It needs a cylinder head, I found a Saab 9-3 engine for $600 and that will bolt straight in, just some minor things to change and of course removing the turbocharger manifold.

We'll see about that one in the near future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts