3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Jonathan_Cain said:
Any parts needed to do this elimination? What all must be done?
Big Jeff can tell you for sure, but i know you have to drill and tap the oil feed for the shaft and plug it. I believe this is in the rear of the engine.

If you are going to a double roller chain, you have to remove the shaft. If you just have a single chain, like me, you can still remove the shaft, but you have to leave the sprocket for the balance shaft as a spacer so the chain stays aligned. Basicly how it is now only there is no balance shaft.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Two things need to be done to remove the balance shaft:

1) Plug the pressurized oil feed for the balance shaft at the rear of the engine. We usually tap the hole and insert a pipe plug. If you don't do this, you'll have no oil pressure.

2) Have the entire rotating assembly 50% balanced. If you skip this step, your engine will exhibit some vibration below 1,800 RPM. Some engines are worse than others, so we don't recommend removing the balance shaft unless you can find a local shop to do the 50% balance job.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from the responses I got when I asked what a 50% balance was a while ago, a 50% balance is just a variation of a standard balance, when I talked to my machine shop, they said the price is the same for either a 50% or a regular balance because supposedly they entail nearly the same amount of work. So really its just the type of balance that these type of engines require.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok how much of a benifit do you get from removing the Balance shaft. Say you are putting down 300FWHP, now if you removed it and had it balanced and all, what would the gains be? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts