3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried them all aside from swapping drivers. What other traction aids would you do to get the GP with 2.0 60's.

I have done:
Slicks <- 2.13 60' lol
Shackles <- 2.19 60'
Lower tire pressure <- 2.20 60'
Spring blockers <- 2.20 60'

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Timberwarp said:
I have tried them all aside from swapping drivers. What other traction aids would you do to get the GP with 2.0 60's.

I have done:
Slicks <- 2.13 60' lol
Shackles <- 2.19 60'
Lower tire pressure <- 2.20 60'
Spring blockers <- 2.20 60'
man, that sucks that you can't get traction. i used to hit 1.9's all the time when i was NA even. i guess i would suggest a torque converter. what kind of launching technique are you using.

·
Banned
203 Posts
2.1x at norwalk and US41. Others? mid 2.2x :(.

Track prep? lower the front tires to 26 or so lbs and put hte rears at 40.

Launching? normally around 1500 to almost idle. I really don't gain better times by torqing it up to 2k.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most ideal track I had was one with sand on the starting line. Second ideal was someone driving their street tires through the waterbox and not doing a burnout.

Best 60' I did with street tires was a 2.14 but that was traction control just totally taking over and pulling like 10* of timing and putting it all back in the 1/8 mile. :eek:

I would like to try drag radials but I hear everyone's stories of pulling 1.9's on street tires, so I know I can pull something better.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Timberwarp said:
Most ideal track I had was one with sand on the starting line. Second ideal was someone driving their street tires through the waterbox and not doing a burnout.

Best 60' I did with street tires was a 2.14 but that was traction control just totally taking over and pulling like 10* of timing and putting it all back in the 1/8 mile. :eek:

I would like to try drag radials but I hear everyone's stories of pulling 1.9's on street tires, so I know I can pull something better.
what kind of street tires?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've pulled several 1.9s and 2.0s on street tires with no LSD. Get as much of the weight out of the ass-end of the car for one...I put the back tire pressure to 45psi, and 28-29psi for the fronts. I use the GTO spring blockers in the rear. and a home-made torque limiter on the driver's side lower control arm. It's very important to get the car to pull straight, the lower control arm forward bushing is a real problem for accomplishing this. I've been talking to energy suspension to get some made, but it looks like I'm going with a steels sperical bearg welded in place instead.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds like you are doing good, but its probably a combination of yoru launching tehnique and teh track. If the track is crap you cant do much about it. Sand at the line? Never heard of that one yet.

When i was on street tires i had the back to 40 psi and teh fronts to 24 psi. Took out all teh weight I could too. My best is 1.92 on stock RSAs

Slicks same thing. Weight out rears to 40 psi and teh slicks to 15 psi. i have been experimenting with some spring blockers now and i think they help. My best on slicks is a 1.75

·
Registered
538 Posts
To reiterate what merc stated, You must practice good technique and it is very hard to get a good launch. As you make more power it gets tougher and tougher! Mercs 1.75 on 2.93 gears is impressive! It can be done with practice and good tires and some rear sus. work ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pratice is a big thing. The street is alot differnt that the track too. But after a while you get in the mind set for. What tires you have on and so forth, and how to ease into WOT. I only have a few pass on nittos and only got one got lauch w/o spin. 1.830. Last week I got what I think is a record maybe for street tires?
I got a 1.899 60' on a set of 4 Dayton ZR 225/60/16's on touqre stars. 81K stock suspenion thats starting to get bad in to front. 25psi front normal 35 rear. I have the 4" spring blocks in the rears, I did them for ass sag. There tie wraped in so they arn't falling out. No spare or jack, but everything else. I don't think i can get a 1.899 agian but have hit 1.921, 1.925 and a few 1.93's. I have 3.69 gears but I don't think that helps on street tires, Not like I can go WOT before the 60' mark anyway. Also have a INTENSE 3000 convertor, I foot brake to 1500 I'm not useing it yet.

·
Registered
713 Posts
my only suspension work is gmpp lowering springs and i pulled high 1.7s on QTPs with 2.93 gears. i now have an LSD, 26x10x15 ET drags, and Weld Pro Star XP wheels, we'll see what kind of 60's i can rip off with this setup at a decent track. over the winter i will be putting on Eibachs and Konis with wheelie bars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The best 60' I have gotten so far.. on a set of Kelly Charger tires with 1/2 tread life on them is a 1.934. Back tires were at 35lbs(I think) and front was at around 20. Didnt use any helpers.
Rt .657

60' .1.934

330' 5.648

1/8 8.786

MPH 78.36

1000' 11.494

1/4 13.794

MPH 97.81

·
Registered
314 Posts
what are you launching at? For a while I was launching at 2600 and only getting 2.1s and 2.0s Then Chris Green told me to go a lot lighter. So today i was launching at 2000, and i got the drag radials heated up really good. I was able to floor it off the line and pulled a couple 1.90s
experiment with different stall rates.
Peace
Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
on my stock RSA's I have pulled constint 2.1's my best was a 2.10 with light spin. my worst was a 2.3 all spin. once you have the technique down. it gets better. I PB to 2200 and let off the brake and ease into very lightly...within a sec and a half..I am WOT. After that its all on the car to preform. I am getting drags soon..and hopefully they do better. my goal is to get down to a 1.7

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do you like the GTO spring stops Ron?

I love mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My best 60' was a 1.76 but i still wasn't able to floor it till 20mph! Guess my traction aid isn't as good as i thought? :confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quick6 said:
My best 60' was a 1.76 but i still wasn't able to floor it till 20mph! Guess my traction aid isn't as good as i thought? :confused:
Hey Rob, come on over to the dark side and run bars. I always floor it at the line and as long as I had an ok burnout it sticks. :) I just ran a 1.565 on a 3585 lb car. Oh my poor axles... :D

John

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just got to rub it in don't you John! :p :D Actually, i think it's due to a combination of a couple of things, Incorrect tires for application, and lastly, an abundance of low end torque! ;)
Rob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.