3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wondering if I can get some feedback. Interested in getting a new computer vehicle - will be travelling 60-70 miles a day. The two vehicles I'm looking at are 1995 Bonneville and 2003 Grand Prix - both with 3800 motor. Both have apx 60,000 miles one them and apx the same price. My concern with the Bonneville is that it's 8 years older and even though motor maybe solid other supporting parts may nees replacement. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Definitely the grand prix.
I have owned both.

Reactions: GTPsurvivor

·
Registered
26 Posts
All of the rubber in that 95 is over 20 years old. Get the 03. Plus, Bonnevilles are bigger and heavier than W-bodies and W-bodies are already big enough and heavy enough as it is.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both are old at this point. The Grand Prix is 18 years old & the Bonneville is 26 years old (hard to believe huh?). My parents used to own a '96 Bonneville. Speaking from personal experience it makes for a nice plush ride, but you'll also be sucking down slightly more gas but not as much as one would think. The Bonneville is only 200lbs more than the Grand Prix believe it or not & the gas mileage was actually rated the same as the Grand Prix in the city & 1 mpg less highway. My parents Bonneville did about 16-17mpg city & 27-28mpg highway when I've driven it. They never had any issues with it other than needing the intake manifold & gaskets & a blend door actuator. My '99 Grand Prix on the other hand I've had alot longer so some more issues have come through a handful being my own doing lol, but its been very good overall. Back when it was stock it was spot on to the 19 city/30 highway ratings. With mods about 17 city & I have seen as high as 32 highway.

Just some things to think about, at 60,000 miles your going to have to do the intake manifold gaskets on both if they haven't been done already. The Bonneville if its an SE is going to have rear drum brakes which don't perform as well in the wet weather. You really can't go wrong with either one as they are both great cars. I would have someone I trust look them over and pick the best of the two. Better yet if you know someone that can give you a carfax on both as well

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
64 Posts
welcome back, but why are you bumping 4+ year old threads?

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Pretty sure it's just to get out some pent-up forum typing. He'll settle in and reply to the new active folks rather than ghosts of members past.

I believe in you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts