3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L36 Mostly stock rn except for ac delete gutted airbox and flowmaster mufflers . I plan on getting a 3in downpipe with 3in exit from zzp. I thought 3in would be good if I plan on doing a topswap with an l32 + a cam and balance shaft delete and all that But how would the l36 with the mods I listed perform With that downpipe ? I know that with a bigger down Pipe moves power to higher rpms but other than that is there any pros/cons about having a 3in downpipe on a NA l36 until it gets built ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also plan on getting an hv3 insert overdrive pullies a legit fwi and maybe headers before it gets top swapped. Probably gonna be a good minute before it does so I wanted to get some advice before I spend a bunch of money and get stuck driving around a sh**** setup

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
Try to only post in a single thread, since it's easier to keep track of replies and doesn't clutter the forum with repeat topics from the same person.

FYI - I wouldn't waste a dollar on anything that only helps an N/A setup, if top swapping is your ultimate goal. HV3 is decent, but I only got one to help with my turbo setup, and OD pullies are for chasing a single HP here and there. N/A gains are minimal on these cars without dropping a bunch of money on the cam or a full higher compression/stroker engine build. Plan out your overall goal, and spend wisely in that direction.

·
Registered
908 Posts
L36 Mostly stock rn except for ac delete gutted airbox and flowmaster mufflers . I plan on getting a 3in downpipe with 3in exit from zzp. I thought 3in would be good if I plan on doing a top swap with an l32 + a cam and balance shaft delete and all that But how would the l36 with the mods I listed perform With that downpipe ? I know that with a bigger down Pipe moves power to higher rpms but other than that is there any pros/cons about having a 3in downpipe on a NA l36 until it gets built ?
Guess I've never been asked that question. However, if you are planning more mods, I say go for it and the larger down pipe(and the rest of the exhaust system should also be increased in size to 2" diameter or more along with some free flowing mufflers). On my SC 3800 I'm running 3" exhaust back to the rear mufflers and then split to the two mufflers with two 2.5" pipes. This works most excellent but I also running a 2.5" SC pulley. Yours being a NA engine a 2.5" exhaust should work nice....but it will most likely be somewhat louder depending on you muffler choices. Check out JEGS and SUMMIT for muffler choices. Best of luck.....Mr Goodwrench (jake)...........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I've never been asked that question. However, if you are planning more mods, I say go for it and the larger down pipe(and the rest of the exhaust system should also be increased in size to 2" diameter or more along with some free flowing mufflers). On my SC 3800 I'm running 3" exhaust back to the rear mufflers and then split to the two mufflers with two 2.5" pipes. This works most excellent but I also running a 2.5" SC pulley. Yours being a NA engine a 2.5" exhaust should work nice....but it will most likely be somewhat louder depending on you muffler choices. Check out JEGS and SUMMIT for muffler choices. Best of luck.....Mr Goodwrench (jake)...........
Cool thx for the advice I’m most likely only gonna do a cam or rockers once I can find something for the topswap

·
Registered
908 Posts
Cool thx for the advice I’m most likely only gonna do a cam or rockers once I can find something for the topswap
If I were in your shoes, I would go with a cam and one that's not too wild. I'm running a ZZP xp cam and it is working very well. By the way, I am also running SLP stock profile rockers. With the cam I didn't really see the need high ration rockers......which with time will wear out before a stock profile rocker arm. I've had this set up on my GTP for years now with ZERO issues. There is one last thing to consider...... When setting up a cam and rockers, you need to be sure the rockers are only SLIGHTLY under pressure when the valves are closed. In some some cases people have used rocker shims to get to ZERO CLEARANCE. This would be done one rocker at at a time. Another way to achieve this would be to shim rockers as needed or buy adjustable pushrods to achieve good rocker to valve stem clearance. If you have any questions shot back to me on the 3800 pro site. Best of luck......Jake (mr goodwrench)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts