3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put my car up for the winter months and I am thinking about removing the SC and heads.

I want to do some intake and exhaust porting and cleanup on the heads.

What should I do or what should I look for regarding the exhaust manifolds? What areas get worked on with the ported exhaust manifolds you can buy?

I just want to make things as good as possible while it is apart.

Thanks for your input!:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you take the stock manifolds off, its really obvious what you have to do to them. On the front manifold, just put a new gasket over the ports, trace around it with a sharpie marker, and dremel away. The rear manifold you have to take to a shop and get it welded around the outside of the primaries and where it connects to the DP. After its welded, you can grind out the welds that are on the inside of the primaries. There's also a lot of overhang from the far-right primary tube blocking the flow from where the front manifold gases go into it. You'll have to shave that down with the dremel, too. Then you can get rid of the weld where the rear mani goes to the DP.

As far as looks, I dremeled off all the rust from the outside of the mani's, washed them in hot soapy water, then painted them with 1200* paint. Looked really good until I ran the car a while after putting them on. That's about all I did, and don't paint the mani's with 1200* paint, it'll burn off and smell bad. Use 1500* or JetHot2000 if you want to paint them. I don't know what they do to the manifolds you buy, never considered buying any or looked into that. All I know is mine made a very noticable difference, and only cost me, $40 welding, $50 shipped for manifolds, $6 1200* paint (waste).

You may also want to check out the thread "Ported Exhaust Manifolds" towards the bottom of the exhaust topics. Some good info in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.