3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to do another LIM gasket and wondered what are most people's preferences. I have heard people using either white Teflon, blue Locktite, red Locktite, or even nothing to lock the threads of the LIM bolts. What do you use? Secondly I knew a mechanic who just hated the two small LIM strips at the each end of the engine and just used RTV only. To use the two LIM strips or not to use the LIM strips (instead of RTV only), that is the question as Shakespeare would say. What do you think is best? If you have heard seen any bad repercussions from either of these procedures please tell me your story. Thanks for the feedback. Also what RTV did you use? I just used the black version. Also do you use Rolock pads to clean up the gasket?

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
Most LIM bolts go into a water passage, and OEM bolts come with a paste to seal them. I've primarily used teflon tape on the 50+ I've bolted together, but I know others will tell you to only use NASA SuperGoop 3000 or something.

Use the end rubber gaskets, as they're not a failure point like in many older engines. Just be sure to put a dab of RTV (I like Ultra Grey) in each corner where they meet the other gaskets. Pre-1998 blocks don't have the stabilizer holes for the end gaskets, is all, so cutting the nubs off them is optional there.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I am about to do another LIM gasket and wondered what are most people's preferences. I have heard people using either white Teflon, blue Locktite, red Locktite, or even nothing to lock the threads of the LIM bolts. What do you use? Secondly I knew a mechanic who just hated the two small LIM strips at the each end of the engine and just used RTV only. To use the two LIM strips or not to use the LIM strips (instead of RTV only), that is the question as Shakespeare would say. What do you think is best? If you have heard seen any bad repercussions from either of these procedures please tell me your story. Thanks for the feedback. Also what RTV did you use? I just used the black version. Also do you use Rolock pads to clean up the gasket?
Good question...... I personally use ZEP FAST GASKET RED. This stuff works most excellent and will withstand HEAT. Never had any issues with this stuff at all. On another note, after using the ZEP gasket sealer, I would suggest you allow an hour or so, or more curing time for the sealer to be sure the sealer will stay in place and do the job..... FAST GASKET RED....This sealer will also withstand HEAT VERY WELL. It works very good once it has some/curing/drying time. Heck, I have even used it for exhaust pipes and muffler components. WORKS ECELLENT. One last suggestion would be to clean up the surfaces dry before using to ensure sealer has time to dry/cure. Jake / Mr. Good wrench. PS, I use carb/choke cleaner to be sure all the components will ad hear to seal. It's a good idea to always allow drying time for any sealer or cleaning chemicals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did mine close to 10 years ago and didn't use anything to lock the threads, just torqued them down. Haven't had any problems but start thinking when I read about people using something. I don't put much mileage on the car so maybe I'll have some issue in the future, but so far nothing.

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
The sealing isn't a huge pathway, and a slow seeping may not occur if there's not enough pressure (possibly being relieved elsewhere) or just enough sealing by the threads on the studs. Even some lucky folks seeing some slow leakage don't end up with a noticable issue, which is why suggestions can vary on what to add with "success stories" that have anecdotal evidence in their limited applications to threads.

Our cars are our own to take care of. I've done a huge variety of modifications, and different head attachment/sealing scenarios, with some issues (mainly on Kalo's turbo Impala pushing towards his 10.0 record before selling it). Take in the variety of opinions, and manufacturer/vendor suggestions, to make a choice and move forward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use the supplied end gaskets! the gap between the lower intake and the ends of the block is beyond what most companys say their gasket maker is supposed to fill. "F" it up and you'll be doing it again. nothing sucks more than all those little spots of oil in you drive way or parking spot. not to mention that delicious smell of oil burning off the exhaust. I use a blue loctite type of sealer that is a gel. I recommend using only felpro or other high end quality lim gaskets I have pulled several 3.8s and 3.1/3.4s apart recently and found chunks of the rubber falling/ missing from the rubber coated steel shim gaskets namely a company using a logo similar to van halen! [email protected]##*.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts