3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the HP tuners on the site...I saw that description there...Transmission abuse mode????

This have anything to do with DSP or differential score protection?? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe "trans abuse mode" refers to the factory PCM not allowing 3-1 downshifts and 4-2 downshifts in order to protect the tranny and motor.

Correct me if I'm wrong fellas.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Trans abuse mode doesn't deal with skip shifts. Rather its purpose is to limit the torque if it detects a high TPS/RPM with a low MPH is detected. In other words, it limits the damage that you can cause by doing things like neutral drops.

Rob I'm not sure what you're referring to by DSP? Diff score prevention is yet another form of torque management, found under the Engine, Torque Management tab in HPT.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnt said:
Trans abuse mode doesn't deal with skip shifts. Rather its purpose is to limit the torque if it detects a high TPS/RPM with a low MPH is detected. In other words, it limits the damage that you can cause by doing things like neutral drops.

Rob I'm not sure what you're referring to by DSP? Diff score prevention is yet another form of torque management, found under the Engine, Torque Management tab in HPT.

John
What I ment was basiclly what its purpose was and should/could it be removed like the DSP for our practical purposes? I say this for the sake of guys with a built trasnaxle..
I thought the DSP was the same as the TAM. Should it TAM be removed? A question arises in my mind now. You said neatral drops. Although its NOT the same, could a stall effect my performance in this mode? TAM?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey, I just realized that by DSP you mean diff scoring protection. DOH, yes I'm an idiot! :)

Anyway, yes you can disable the TAM. FWIW, I run mine disabled.

The TAM should not intervene when you're stalling, unless you're stalling at pretty high RPMs. TAM has an enable RPM, where it won't become activate unless your RPMs are above this value. I imagine that it varies from year to year or model to model, but the stock TAM enable RPM in my car (98) was originally set to 3700. So I wouldn't have experienced any torque limiting unless I was stalling above that point.

Does that help?

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnt said:
Hey, I just realized that by DSP you mean diff scoring protection. DOH, yes I'm an idiot! :)

Anyway, yes you can disable the TAM. FWIW, I run mine disabled.

The TAM should not intervene when you're stalling, unless you're stalling at pretty high RPMs. TAM has an enable RPM, where it won't become activate unless your RPMs are above this value. I imagine that it varies from year to year or model to model, but the stock TAM enable RPM in my car (98) was originally set to 3700. So I wouldn't have experienced any torque limiting unless I was stalling above that point.

Does that help?

John
Yea, thanks John. There is TAM and DSP. Im yanking both. I see what you mean by the TAM. If I remember correctly now it wont allow you to ingadge untill the R's drop. I dont plan on any N-drops.. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts