3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how it broke, what it is, or what it does, but I'd like to see if I can replace it or not. Just need to know what it is.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
Sway bar end link. They're $10-15 or so at most stores. The long bolt inside the rubber bushings gets rusty after a few years and this happens.

Buy a 2-pack of regular replacements, or Energy Suspension poly ones in the aisle of the store, and replace both sides. The other one is sure to be done as well, and may even snap while trying to unbolt it.

Rubber pieces cushion against the sway bar and control arm... flat sides/washers against the nut/bolt and spacer.

Reactions: NotSoGrand

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm not sure how it broke, what it is, or what it does, but I'd like to see if I can replace it or not. Just need to know what it is. View attachment 11170
That is a broke sway bar link(there should be one on each side of the front suspension). Some people will just take the part out which will work to some degree. However, if both front sway bar links are intact the car should handle better with less leaning on turns or quick turning. You can live without that link but you will not have as good of sway control as with a good sway bar. Speaking of that, there are different kinds of sway bars. Some are pressed together at the ends.......where as a nice sway bar is solid steel(with bushings) which will work better and is less prone to breakage. They are better and have a better life span. Mr Goodwrench (Jake)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts