3800Pro Forums banner

What is the Security Relearn Procedure?

14K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MCSS 
#1 ·
If you replace your PCM on some vehicles (Bonneville, Regal, Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and 2004+ Grand Prix) it will be necessary to perform this Security Relearn Procedure before the car can be started. No tools are required to complete this procedure and it can be accomplished 30 to 45 minutes after the PCM is initially installed.

For all vehicles except 2004+ Grand Prix:

-Try to start the vehicle.
-Turn ignition to OFF for 10 seconds.
-Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
-Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
-Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
-Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
-Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the second time.
-Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the third time.
-Start the vehicle.

For 2004+ Grand Prix only:

-Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).
-Observe the SECURITY telltale on the digital information center. Leave key in the ON position.
-After approximately fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
-Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).
-Observe the SECURITY telltale on the digital information center. Leave key in the ON position.
-After approximately fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
-Start the vehicle.
-If you are having trouble getting your new PCM to re-learn your security system, try starting the procedure over without opening any of the vehicle doors.

See less See more
#2 ·
Procedures didn't work for me tonight. I'm using the keys the dealer gave me when I bought the car... the Chevrolet keys with black tabs on the end where the keyring attaches.

Ideas? Was looking forward to driving the car tonight... now gonna have to go to bed empty-handed. Grrrrr...

#4 ·
mlewis73 said:
Procedures didn't work for me tonight. I'm using the keys the dealer gave me when I bought the car... the Chevrolet keys with black tabs on the end where the keyring attaches.

Ideas? Was looking forward to driving the car tonight... now gonna have to go to bed empty-handed. Grrrrr...
This procedure works for my Monte. The Impala should be identical.

1 Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2 Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3 Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4 Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5 Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

IMPORTANT
The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6 Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7 With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.