3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some nice supporting mods and I wanna hear some opinions on cam, springs, retainers, valve seals, push rods etc.
Whats need it and whats not?
Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well you kind of limited to a few with stock heads. I would go with the xp or the s1x depending on how severe you wanna go. You'll still need springs OR or lightweight rods are fine. I would say go with 105 springs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
cams

is there anything bigger than the S1X or XP for stock heads? how about 1.7:1 rockers? will they make a difference thats worth the cost? will the stage 2 cam work with stock heads?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think theoretically you can run an s2 with the viton seals and the modified retainers. I would think it would be shooting yourself in the foot though becuase your cam would be suffocated by heads that can't flow as much as needed. I think if go s1x you can use 1.7 rockers not sure on that one. I would think you could even run the s3 with the retainers and the seals but reliability would suck and again you wouldn't see many gains just becuase factory heads suck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do the heads suck that bad for the S2? I was thinking about opening the ports a little to allow more flow without doing a major head job.

·
Registered
187 Posts
considering they have an almost 90 degree bend in them I would say yes. It isn't worth going with a large cam if you don't use better heads. You will get ALOT of power from an xp with stock heads. A local guy here put down close to 310FWHP.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think either the intense blower cam or the XP could fit the bill. Then, later on trow some 1.7 rockers for a bit more lift. How this sound?

·
Registered
174 Posts
the 1.7's were with the vs cam. Ive never heard of anyone running 1.7's on a xp or s1x, im almost positive you would hit the valve covers if you put 1.7's on a xp or s1x

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
DavesGTP said:
XP, modded retainers, viton seals, 105 # springs = :D
This is about the exact setup I've been told about, and am trying to make sure it's the best route I could go with stock heads for this season. I know a 1x/VS would be a safe bet, but are there gains to be made by going with the XP over a Vs/1x on stock heads?

Along with soon to be ported manifolds, I've replaced the d/p for some slight exhaust flow gain. I'm trying to get a decnt improvement this year, after being stuck at Level 1 modding (3.4, intake, exhaust, dhp) for 2 years. I won't be able to afford tranny (other than shift kit), or heads until next winter, but I'm hoping to do the best possible with cam, valvetrain, etc.

- Dave

·
Registered
784 Posts
You might want to listen to the advice 'dougsgtp' is giving you on this one. I also beleive you will have problems with the cam /1.7 combo. 1.6:1 ratio is what is recommended. Just how much do you really think your going to gain using 1.7 over 1.6's.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I run the S1x and 1.6 rockers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts