3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
On my 98 Regal GS:
This is a tricky one that has me stumped. The other day my keyfob stopped working. Didn't think too much of it other than thought the batteries were dead in it. Then I noticed that my trunk was unlocked/unlatched one time... again I just thought I forgot to close it but I didn't remember opening it. I would have had to use the fob (which was dead) or the key which I didn't use recently but shrugged it off and didn't put much thought into it. Then I noticed my trunk released again... scratched my head a bit on this instance but was late and locked the car up manually because the driver and passenger front door panels are removed because I am in process of installing speakers in the doors and am playing with the configuration so I don't have any power lock buttons on either front doors at the moment. Keep this in mind in case it may have something to do with this. So today once again I noticed my trunk released (no dash trunk open light on) so I decided to troubleshoot a bit. Shut trunk and drove around block, came back, put car in park and checked trunk and it was released. Basically figured out trunk releases every time I shift the car into park and the auto unlock feature is activated. Even if I just shift car into drive then park (locks doors then unlocks when shifting) and still the keyfob won't respond. Checked keyfob battery - tests ok at 3v.

Kinda stumped on this one. any thoughts? I was also playing with the battery terminals and had the car powered down and up a few times during this time when it all started acting up. One thing In haven't tried yet is rebooting the car (unhooking the battery and waiting for a few mins then reconnecting it) so I will try that this afternoon when I get a chance and report back. Maybe something barfed in the computer and needs a reset/power cycle to correct the issue. Also I added a heavy duty power cable going from the battery Positive post to the fuse/relay box and another to the alternator output directly to the battery positive post. This is what I was working on with the battery terminals the other day when I noticed this all starting. I left the stock wiring in place to the alternator and fuse/relay box too, just added a bigger secondary one in preparation for the stereo install. Could that effect it? I haven't tried disconnecting the secondary ones yet. Will try later today.

Also for those people that have aftermarket amps installed, where did you go through the firewall with your amp power wire? I have some pretty thick 2/0 cable to run and was contemplating the best place to go through the firewall as it is pretty thick...

Any insight to anything is appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Rebooting the car solved the trunk release issue! Now to see if the fob reprograms...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts