3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems like every morning now, I will start my car, and start driving temps will get up to around 170*(mind you I have a 180* T-stat), if I get on it, the temp will peg cold, and the high speed fans will kick on, it only started once it got to around 50* outside. The problem is the high speed fans will kick on, the engine is so cold I can't even really feel the heat off of it, or the hose, and the fans will stay on even after I shut the car off. It seems like it goes into a safe mode of some sort. It's really beginning to piss me off, then if I sit still with the engine idling the temp will spring up out of nowhere back up to normal temps. Can someone tell me what is happening, I think that since it's cold out, and I have the 180* t-stat that when I get up to temps with the 185* fan turn on from the DHP, the engine gets colder than what it should be due to outside cold cooling the radiator, the PCM senses that and thinks the temp sensor isnt reading right and goes into safe mode turning the high speed fans on. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You can rule out the PCM by swapping a stock one back in for a day or so.

Your problem sounds like it may be caused by a faulty ECT sensor, wiring or even air pockets in the cooling system.

Is the car setting any codes? Have you recently done any mods that involved refilling the cooling system?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not recently, I havent done any mods. I did get a code the other day. I havent found out what it is yet, but what is an ECT sensor?? Electronic Coolant Temp??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Pacer,

This has been hapening on several of the montes even without custom pcms, do a update/reset with a scantool or just unplug your batery for a while and it will go away. There was a topic on it over at the 2000montecarlo site. Once you reset the pcm you will be fine, but it may happen randomly every once in a great while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.