3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Park Avenue (naturally aspirated) and it's doing this weird idle thing. Most of the time when I start it up cold, the idle is so low it will die within a couple of seconds. However, if I give it gas for just a few seconds, then it's fine and idles like it should. When it's warm, it's nearly impossible to get it to idle normal. It insists on sitting low (usually around 500 RPM or so). If I try to start it with the throttle fully open, it won't start at all, cold or warm (maybe that's just a computer safety thing). Sometimes while driving, if I'm going slow enough (maybe 30 MPH or less), if I take my foot off the gas and coast, it will die. This especially sucks if I'm slowing down to make a sharp turn. The only ECU code I have is for an evap system leak. No IAC or TPS codes. Any ideas what could be causing this?

PS: It seems that when the idle is out of whack, it takes a little more gas to get it moving. Like I may have to rev it up to around 1300 or so before the transmission actually engages. Related issue or something completely different?

·
Registered
956 Posts
The description of a fuel pressure regulator leaking allowing too much fuel or maybe not enough(which could be a plugged fuel filter or weak fuel pump).

My suggestion for a first step would be to check the fuel pressure regulator and the vacuum hose that is attached for any sign of wet gas. I also use a flash light to look in the vacuum hose pipe nipple on regulator and see if there's any fuel moving around(shake the car a tick). If all that appears normal and the fuel pump and filter are good, I would give it a tune up.....plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter. I would also try unplugging the MASS AIR FLOW sensor to see if the car runs better/ If this happens, your MAF is bad or very dirty inside.

Try doing this stuff and lets see what pops up.. Post your findings.. jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts