3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size bolts I need to change my waterpump?

Kind of funny if you ask me.
The previous owner had a local mechanic stab a new engine. Well, it was a used normally aspirated 3800 that now has a blower sitting on top of it. He charged them for a long block. So far I have had to helicoil the belt tensioner bracket on. When the bracket finaly came loose I lost my power steering pump and the RH CV Joint. Oil pan gasket was leaking like a sieve. Blower still rattles and leaks oil. Had to use a chisel, grinder and a die grinder to get the LH front wheel bearing replaced. Ball joints are next on the list. Bolt tab for the heater hose pipe to the block missing in action. Water pump held on by silicone.

The water pump has 4 bolts holding it on. Silicone used to seal up the other bolt holes. I would rather buy the helicoil set and bolts before I tear it apart. The set would have to be ordered, or is at the minimum 60 miles away!

All for a car that will haul as much as a 1/2 ton pickup and ride nice doing it! And, pass some of those pickups still getting 25 mpg during a 1,400 mile trip over the Rockies and back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disgusted

19 views and nobody had a freakin answer for me! I guess it is time to kiss this worthless forum goodbye. If you people are only concerned about going fast, buy a freakin 1965 427 Cobra. Other than that, I think you should have helped out some one who wants to keep one of these cars on the road. Just to show these idiots out there that they are good cars!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
unless someone has the pump off there car and has the bolts laying next to it, most people dont know the size of the bolts

the only thing i could recommend is taking one of them out and going to autozone and match it up with the chart that they have for bolts.

if i had to guess tho i think they are an m5. but that is just a guess.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I do know the answer to your question. Sorry to say your attitude isn't a good motivational tool for someone like me. Your post itself was a little tough to follow as it seemed you asked the sizing of the bolts then went into why you wanted them.

It's discouraging for those of us that have these things laying around to measure for you to see this typeo of post and think...hmmm I had a 40 person car meet that week and missed your post. Instead of toss a bump or please help on it.....well... it's obvious what you did.

If you still need this info, please pm me and I'll try to check out the sizing tonight.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well, since he asked so very nicely, and this is the first time I'm seeing this post (been in the bathroom all this time sorry).....

Edit.
hey Boostie. I may need your help to confirm the weird sizes I just measured

4 bolts 1.0625" long @5/26"-18 Water pump to timing cover
4 bolts 3.0" long @1/4"-20 water pump thru cover to block.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
They are "probably" metric thread Steve. Not 100% sure on that though. Forgot to check last night between tightening a friends brake lines, replacing a wheel cylinder, helping another friend move and firing up the newly springed and rockered motor.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
They are "probably" metric thread Steve. Not 100% sure on that though. Forgot to check last night between tightening a friends brake lines, replacing a wheel cylinder, helping another friend move and firing up the newly springed and rockered motor.
Metric is what I figured as well during my initial post. But when checked against the thread checker I was shocked to find a match with standard size. Maybe the bolts i used were damaged threads and just happened to match to standard instead of metric.
I'm bewildered on this one so need that second opinion. Hell, I've always used metric sockets to reassemble my engines. Serves me right for checking stuff while sober. ha ha

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
LIM bolt heads are 3/8" not 10mm. Most of the exterior bolts are metric, while the internal bolts didn't change from the old standard days.

I'll try and check tonight if I don't fall asleep on the way home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts