3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a problem with water soaking the passenger floor board after a long hard rain :mad: .Started about one year after I bought the car.Carried it back three times while under warrenty & they never did fix it . It usually happens when it's cold outside which isn't that often here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just had the same problem with mine after about three days of rain I got about three inches of water on the floor and had to vaccuum it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go in the 27th of Dec. to have it checked out. My passenger side window switch quit working as well. Don't know if it is related or not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gargoyle They have to keep the mechanics busy somehow?????
Unfortunately, I'm the one kept busy turning the wrenches on my car(except the trans. rebuild last spring :mad: ),& the >$1000 of other parts I've had to buy this year. Cars wear out over time like everything else,& I'd have to say I've enjoyed wearing mine out over the years :D !Now I'm paying for it(135k,75-100miles a day).
My passenger side window switch quit working as well.
I replaced my drivers window switch last year, & my friend has a 2k monte & his pass. window switch just had to be replaced.I'ts odd because it's rarely used.
pdgtp Anyone have a problem with water soaking the passenger floor board after a long hard rain
If anyone hears about an answer to this problem I hope they take time to share it w/me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Alot of people have found that the AC drain gets clogged and it backs up and thus runs out on yoru passenger floor. i myself have had water but i think mine comes in from the floorboards, but it dosnt happen all the times. i have cleaned out my AC drain so i know its not that.

There used to be a link on what to do about teh AC drain but I think the link is borke now. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Merc said:
Alot of people have found that the AC drain gets clogged and it backs up and thus runs out on yoru passenger floor. i myself have had water but i think mine comes in from the floorboards, but it dosnt happen all the times. i have cleaned out my AC drain so i know its not that.
Thanks for responding but it's not that.This event normally occurs durring cold weather with a long period of heavy rain.It's possible it could be leaking every time the car gets wet, but not enough to soak the pad/carpet.I guess I'll take the carpet out to find the problem :mad: .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok you guys i'll tell you how to fix the leak(for GP's only), its an easy one, yes some of the drains get plugged , but thats not it......Ok up at the right front of the windshield, the black cowling at the base of the wind shield, it comes from the factory with a sealing strip under the top edge of it, its supposed to devert water away from the heater box air inlet, but theres more so we'll get back to that in a bit....any way thats not the major part to fix....take off that side of the cowling, theres a piece of metal that sticks out to act as a gutter to also help devert water out of the air intake of the heater box, it has a push on rubber strip that if water gets to it its supposed to run the water off to the sides, it dosen't do a very good job of keeping it out of the air box, it drips right on through it, once you get the cowling piece off you'll know what I mean.......anyway heres the fix, pull the stip off the gutter, dry it out if its wet, fill it full of some good sealant, put it back on.....now reinstall to cowl piece, only before you do replaced the upper edge sealing strip with caulk strip(made by 3M, you can buy at a Napa store)when installing, press the cowling piece down so you get a good seal, and thats it.....Oh one more thing, drop your heater motor down and get the water out of it, the leak comes right through the motor itself, if you don't the motor will go bad over time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks I will print this out and take it with me to the mechanic to have him read it and have him fix it this way if you say that it works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
your welcome, I've fixed and guided many into doing this, I run a Pontiac dealer shop, so I've seen a few of um

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fast_redgt said:
I run a Pontiac dealer shop, so I've seen a few of um
Thanks for the 411. Wonder why the dealer here wasn't smart enough to know how to fix this problem. Is there a service letter on this subject? Since I carried the car back 3 times to the dealer for this problem is there anyway I can get them to to fix it for no charge? I'm sure I can fix it but it's the principle of the matter.This has been a real boil on my butt since the first occurance, & frankly it's been an embarrassment to me :mad: .I guess I feel like GM should right this wronge .I love the car ,& I'm a stronge supporter of GM ( all my family owns are GM products), I guess I'm just real frustrated about the problem & wish they would just handle up on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
your welcome.....I first found this problem on a Daytona 500 GTP, sence then I've found it on many more, but I wouldn't say it a large overall problem for GM, I just see alot of grand prixs, and for years before I became a tech then service mamager, I did waterleaks, so you tend to go alittle farther when you've done alot of this before.....some dealers just hate waterleaks and will not go that extra mile to fix it, good luck on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fast_redgt said:
for years before I became a tech then service mamager, I did waterleaks, so you tend to go alittle farther when you've done alot of this before.....
In other words you have to "want it" fixed :D ,& not have the attituded that your at work to just get your "8 hours".Anything worth doing is worth doing right & I commend you for going the extra mile.Thats basicly my philosify & it looks like thats a trait you share with me.If we could somehow get our coworkers to buy into that line of thinking there would be no limit to what we could achieve.Keep up the good work :) !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't be so sure about it. I was battling a leaky water problem in my '98 GTP for MONTHS on end!! I eventually figured out where the water was coming from, and guess what..... it was coming from the MOONROOF!!! The moonroof has 4 drain plugs coming off of each corner. My passenger rear drain tube had become disconnected from the drain plug on the moonroof itself. I had to drop the headliner to get to it (which wasn't too hard), and I haven't had a drop of water in the car since then. Now, I'm not saying this is a fix-all for everyone, but it fixed my water leak problem.

My first notification of the leak was about ~7 months ago, right after I bought the car, and right after heavy rain for ~3 days, my passenger floor board was SOAKED. I pulled the carpet up and could not determine where the water had come from. I checked the AC drain plug, and it was as clean as could be (no debris blocking the drain).

I eventually just let it go, and about 4 months later after another ~3 day downpour, my passenger floor was soaked again. Again, there was no evidence as to where the water came from, so I just let it go again after drying the water up. About 2-3 weeks later, I noticed water ALL OVER the backseat!!! This is when my mind started rolling and I looked up at the moonroof, and there was a huge wet spot on the headliner. It was then that I determined the moonroof was my problem all along.

So, if you can't figure out where the water is coming from, check your AC drain plug, and then check your moonroof drain tubes. Hope this helps somebody out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i've fixed moon roof waterleaks on GP's before to, 99% of the time the headliner gets wet(soked is more like it), take a turkey tie and use it as a clamp to hold the tube on.....the tube will shink and pull away some times over time......if your getting water at the passenger floor below the dash its what I said in the first post......there also is a bulletin out on the a/c drain, but the a/c part that collects water is in the center of the dash, and I don't care what anyone says, it can not get to the blower motor area, it just can not fill up that much without over flowing in other areas, trust me on this

·
Registered
130 Posts
fast, then where do you suppose to could come from? when it was leaking bad for me, the one place i could see where it was leaking the worst was right behind the blower assembly between the glower and the firewall, but higher up where I couldn't see or fit my hand.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
from the models 97 thru 2003 GP's, theres only three places that we've found water leaks (other than a windshield or rear window installed incorrectly), the first post I made in this forum is the most common one, if its near the blower motor, and it happens during rain, see my first post in this forum, if its to the left(sitting in vehicle) toward the middle of the dash and happens when the a/c or defrost is on for a time, its a plugged drain, which exits where the heater core hoses enter the firewall(rubber elbow tube),remove rubber elbow and clean with a piece of wire(carefull not to jam around to hard), if it leaks onto carpet from the side and or your headliner gets wet, a tube is loose at the corner of your sunroof

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fast_redgt said:
the first post I made in this forum is the most common one
I think this is my problem,I noticed my blower mtr was making a clicking noise @ low speeds, which makes me think its full of H2O.
snowmunky said:
I eventually figured out where the water was coming from, and guess what..... it was coming from the MOONROOF!!! The moonroof has 4 drain plugs coming off of each corner. My passenger rear drain tube had become disconnected from the drain plug on the moonroof itself.
My moon roof leaked H2O into the control panel for moon roof/lights once about ayear ago , but I think that was just debris between the seal & roof. I cleaned it & it hasn't happened since.Thanks for the heads up on the drain tubes though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts