3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my topswap finished up and can start the car now it runs great for about 30 seconds until a vacuum leak opens up and keeps me at 2k rpm. I tracked it down w brake cleaner and found it getting sucked in right behind the thermostat under one of the 3 long bolts that hold the sc (gen 5). I tried to give it a couple turns to see if it would close it up at all but I ended up stripping the threads on the intake . So I took off the sc got a new gm gasket, put a helicoil in the threads I stripped, and got them all torqued to 17Lbft. Still has the same problem in the same spot I was thinking maybe the sc or intake could be warped right there because of the 2 water ports is that common ?

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
If you're using a factory style gasket, the o-ring's may be dislodging on install (can set with a thin wipe of RTV before mounting the s/c a couple hours later), or the guide pins may be messing you up.

These don't typically warp due to the size, thickness, design, etc. This can be different with an IC core underneath, which is why the thicker ZZP garlock gaskets are beneficial. Still want to use the same torque spec, but the seal is able to be kept.

Reactions: Key$outh
1 - 2 of 2 Posts