3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I have a 1996 Camaro it has a 5-speed transmission and a 3.8 l engine I wanted to know my options with being able to possibly use a front-wheel drive 3.8 or what are my other options for an engine where I don't have to mess with the transmission and I don't care if the transmission or rear end can this 5-speed handle V8 this is Camaro have the same partisan z28 what 5-speed do I have is it the same 5-speed the z28 have

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
104 Posts
punctuation in your friend.

you should be able to use any series 2 or series 3 short block if you swap the top end (intake manifold and heads), sensors, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello I have a 1996 Camaro it has a 5-speed transmission and a 3.8 l engine I wanted to know my options with being able to possibly use a front-wheel drive 3.8 or what are my other options for an engine where I don't have to mess with the transmission and I don't care if the transmission or rear end can this 5-speed handle V8 this is Camaro have the same partisan z28 what 5-speed do I have is it the same 5-speed the z28 have
Although the two engines are very much the same, they dont share engine mounting points. So you will have to modify a FWD engine to accommodate. Of course the manifolds and a few other bits will need to be swapped. I dont think the accessories are in the same location either. The tranny is not very strong, and I would not take it above 225 HP. I swapped a '00 Camaro 3800 series II into a 1980 chevy Monza Spyder. I broke that 5speed tranny with the stock motor. I am currently rebuiliding the 3800 using some SC internals and have a turbo kit to install. I also found a guy who built a custom adaptor for a TKO 600 5 speed. Pretty trick stuff, but I dont know if he will still make these anymore. You can contact them here: Speed Gems - Transmission Adapters It works very well and when he made mine, there was an auto trans version too. Basically it converts the bolt pattern, the odd offset of the 3800 flange with a custom adaptor for the engine and the output shaft so you can bolt up stock chevy stuff. Makes the whole drive line about an inch longer.

jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts