3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a Walbro Fuel pump to complement my boost-a-pump and 65# injectors. I'm following the instructions on the Intense website:
http://www.intense-racing.com/walbroinstall.html

Looking at the following image in the instuctions:

You are to remove that brass return line fitting from the stock pump and put it in the Walbro. Well, my stock pump does not have that fitting. Whazzupwitdat?

I have included a picture of teh top of my stock pump for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Intimd8r said:
i went through the same issue w/ trying to install mine. i could'nt get the fitting to fit on the new pump.... i gave up ... :confused: but i'm not needing it yet either. i don't know what to tell ya!!!! *sorry* big jeff should chime in he would know.
That would be a whole other issue. My issue is that there is no fitting to move. I was told be another person that we do not have that fitting on the GT pump so to skip that step.

THe other issue is getting the pump assembly down in the tank far enough to get the clip back in. Man, that is more difficult than I thought it would be. What is the secret? Is the key to lube up that big O-ring really well? That's what I'm going to try because it seems to hang up on that piece and I cannot get the entire pump top down (all the way around at the same time) in order to get the clip put back into place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intimd8r said:
yes i just lubed it up w/ motor oil. did you have to drop the tank? so where would the return line go to, just hang loose in the tank?
Thanks. I will try either motor oil or Vaseline and see if it slips down in there a bit better. For the return, there simply is no line. I am guessing that is comes in the top and just sprays down? I dunno. I posed this over on Clubgp.com and Tim King said he put one in a GT a while back and found the same thing. It appears that the L36's (GT's) came with a different pump. If you think about it, it makes sense that most people would not have run into this before. There are not a lot of GT's out there doing over 400whp yet :D

By the way, the picture of your car in your sig is sweet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To get the pump assembly back in and seated, lubing the O-ring is essential. It's also easier to do from the back seat if you have a pass through compartment. Than just seat one of the four "corners" of the ring at a time until they're all seated.

For a few cents more the kit should include a brass return fitting (of the correct size) premounted on the new pump. It's a real PITA to get the old one out and it doesn't quite fit right on the new pump.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kip, was your 98 a Grand Prix GT or was it a Monte? I'll have to ask Tim what year he was running. My GT is a 1999. I tried searching www.alldatadiy.com for information on the fuel pump but it didn't have very much information.

You guys are absolutely right on the vaseline! Hell, it just slid right in there with no problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Merc said:
Definetly use this! Lube is good!
Easy Tiger, we are talking about Fuel pumps here. ;) :eek: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts