3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some budget options for valve springs. Anything I do to this car I have to install supporting mods first. Pretty discouraged because my $9 job is making it more difficult than it already is. I want to do lifters, but I have to do valve springs. Are there any good budget mods for these cars. Right now pretty much the only thing I have is the zzp pcm and a k&n.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
54 Posts
depends on what you're planning for - 1.9s would probably want 90#, you wouldn't need 105# for a rocker only setup. and you'd do it all at once, no sense to tear the top end down to put in springs without having the rockers in your hand. keep in mind that high spring rate will also wear out the timing chain tensioner faster.

Reactions: wesrb

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Honestly, I've been in that spot when I got started, and I'd say not to dump every spare penny into modifying your car. The $100 here and $250 there for upgrades is going to make it even harder when it comes time to get fresh tires, fix some other maintenance item for safe/legal driving, or get something you need elsewhere in life.

That's not to say stop potentially having this as a hobby, but be sure you don't rob from Peter to pay Paul in your budget, when it will just be better planned out by just wearing out the websites learning and planning before your hard-earned bucks disappear one component at a time.

My parts collection grew over almost 20yrs, from buying the GTP at 19 and getting it to high-13's with $500 in minimal upgrades and many track trips in near-stock form. The local clubs full of cars to help work on and learn from have dissipated, but the knowledge is online to read and plan your steps as you figure out what you want.

Also, I had 105#'s for my X-P, and wouldn't recommend them for anything over 1.9's or a VS cam. LS6 90#'s are cheaper to get, and have a stronger rate as the valve opens (I can dig out a set I got from LS1tech years ago and do a deal, if you want). Above that level, start looking at 130#+ springs. Lifters aren't a big necessity until you get a cam setup that can rev past 6K, but if you get a deal on LS7's, go for it. Retainers/Locks are mandatory when springs get swapped, and valve seals are cheap and easy to refresh while springs are off. The numbers add up, so make a spreadsheet and plan that honestly lays out the costs.

Reactions: wesrb

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I've been in that spot when I got started, and I'd say not to dump every spare penny into modifying your car. The $100 here and $250 there for upgrades is going to make it even harder when it comes time to get fresh tires, fix some other maintenance item for safe/legal driving, or get something you need elsewhere in life.

That's not to say stop potentially having this as a hobby, but be sure you don't rob from Peter to pay Paul in your budget, when it will just be better planned out by just wearing out the websites learning and planning before your hard-earned bucks disappear one component at a time.

My parts collection grew over almost 20yrs, from buying the GTP at 19 and getting it to high-13's with $500 in minimal upgrades and many track trips in near-stock form. The local clubs full of cars to help work on and learn from have dissipated, but the knowledge is online to read and plan your steps as you figure out what you want.

Also, I had 105#'s for my X-P, and wouldn't recommend them for anything over 1.9's or a VS cam. LS6 90#'s are cheaper to get, and have a stronger rate as the valve opens (I can dig out a set I got from LS1tech years ago and do a deal, if you want). Above that level, start looking at 130#+ springs. Lifters aren't a big necessity until you get a cam setup that can rev past 6K, but if you get a deal on LS7's, go for it. Retainers/Locks are mandatory when springs get swapped, and valve seals are cheap and easy to refresh while springs are off. The numbers add up, so make a spreadsheet and plan that honestly lays out the costs.
Really appreciate the response. Knowing how to do this stuff isn't a big problem at all for me, but finding the time and resources to do the installs is what gets me. As this is my daily driver I have to have all installs done most of the time by the end of the day. If I have two days off in a row I try to take advantage of it and plan on those days. I'm nearing the end of my votech schooling, so I'll have more time to do big installs thankfully. Sadly votech did not teach me anything about tuning ecus or performance related things, but I can use the knowledge I've gained from tearing engines and transmissions apart to fill in the gaps. I might take you up on that offer on the springs in a week or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts