3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Supercharged Monte Carlo and haven't done anything to it yet (except a Hypertech canned tune). My thoughts were that I could do a 3" stainless steel downpipe, a 3.25 inch pulley, a short stack intercooler with the stage 3 heat exchanger and 180* stat. Do you think I am going to have KR with these mods? What do you think I will see in performance increase?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
it would work, and it would probably run alright, but headers and intake would be awesome with that setup, your car would scoot.
i'm on the stock pulley with headers, catback, intake, tune, 1.8 roller rockers, 104's, 180* thermo, and a freshly built transmission, and damn it scoots for a stock pulley.

basically just do all that you wanted minus the downpipe and throw headers in there and you'd have one mean monte.

you also would need a tune with almost any modifications, you may get away with it but its not worth risking, motor swaps are no fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any headers that you would recommend? And I don't know a lot about exhaust systems, but aren't the headers and the down pipe two different parts of the exhaust so shouldn't I change both of them?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Depending on what headers you go with, most header configurations (at least for our platform) have their own downpipe included. You could change from the included downpipe (it is recommended with some) but you do not have to. FWIW I'm a +1 on the headers if you going to try and squash a 3.25 on. While an intercooler will reduce your intake temps, you might still experience a decent amount of counter-productive boost-stacking in the LIM with stock valvetrain. At that point you may want to be looking at some higher ratio rockers or a mild cam depending on how hard you want to run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do high ratio rockers do? Also then if I just wanted to stick with the mods I have listed (and a PCM on top of what I have listed) should I maybe not drop past a 3.4" pulley then? The pulley is my biggest concern because I don't want to have any knock what so ever. Or do you think I should try going with a 3.5", see how it works with that and if it is still fine drop it to a 3.25" (or maybe not even depending on how it ran with the 3.5".

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well if they're real rockers and not modded stockers, they properly push the valves further to allow more air to get in and out of the engine. Modded rockers change the angle of the pushrod wearing the lifter cup differently and change valvetrain harmonics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what I am going to do is just go with a 3.4" or 3.5" pulley, short stack intercooler with stage 3 heat exchanger, headers (or just a down pipe haven't decided yet), PCM tune, and a 180* stat. Do you guys think that will work? I really don't want to be changing a huge amount. Like rockers and cams is too much. I want to change things that are basically bolt on.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
But rockers are just a bolt on ;) You should be fine w/ a 3.4 with that, I'd scan just to be sure tho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you for all the replies. I think I will do what I mentioned in last reply. Once I have enough money to pay for everything I will let you guys know how it worked out :icon_surp

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Definitely get headers if you plan to drop the pulley size. It doesn't do any good to push more air into an engine if it can't push that air out.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts