3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about the itty bitty brakes on my Grand Prix's (both 97 GTP and 04 Comp G). The question I have is could you get the rotors, calipers, and caliper mounting brackets from the front of the GP, Regals, Monte's, Impala's, etc. And use them on the rear? I was thinking that if that would work then you could upgrade the fronts to the bigger size and do crossed drilled, slotted or both all the way around. What do you think? Anyone ever tried this?
Tate

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not too sure on the newer cars, but I know on mine (1996 GP) the front brakes are almost twice as thick as the ones in the rear. The front one has vanes whereas the rear has solid. Hope that makes sense.
You could maybe do it, but it might require a little customization.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The impala front rotors are 12in and stock size in the rear like are rear rotors.

I like my upgrade, I have 00' Impala drilled and sloted rotors all away around with the F-Body Calipers and quiet stop brake pads and i love the way it stops. I think if you want to upgrade the rear rotors you will have to do some kind of conversion but I think Baer has that upgrade for the rear.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mybluegtp said:
I like my upgrade, I have 00' Impala drilled and sloted rotors all away around with the F-Body Calipers and quiet stop brake pads and i love the way it stops. I think if you want to upgrade the rear rotors you will have to do some kind of conversion but I think Baer has that upgrade for the rear.

Good Luck.
Do you have a parts list of the items you used or know of one out there that I could look at?
Tate

·
Registered
19 Posts
get a hold of this guy from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33567&item=2436843067

Also, if you can get a hold of Ratracer on clubgp he was selling the kits that will be a direct bolt on calipers for are cars. There is someone else that is selling them but you will have to tap the holes so are bolts can fit onto the f-body caliper.

And the break pads you can get at your autopart store.
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
oh and some say that the stock brake lines are tight, and you should go with the SS brake lines instead which is true. You just have to bend the bracket in the front a little down so you have some slack to the lines. Hope this makes sense.

alfredo :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if I'm understanding the whole thing right here you have to have:

Camaro/Firebird Brake Pads
but 2000-2004 Monte Carlo 12" rotors

Will Camaro/Firebird rotors work or are they different?

·
Registered
19 Posts
amerak said:
So if I'm understanding the whole thing right here you have to have:

Camaro/Firebird Brake Pads
but 2000-2004 Monte Carlo 12" rotors

Will Camaro/Firebird rotors work or are they different?
From what I hear the rotors will work on are car but only the front. If i'm wrong please someone let me know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So the rear rotors of an Impala will fit with our existing caliper? I'm just asking this because the guy that is selling those on Ebay is selling all four as a package.

I have RatRacer's writeups (4 or 5 documents) regarding this swap. I'll see if I can find them later tonight and post them up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To just use monte or impala rotors with your calipers, you need the regal caliper bracket that's listed in clubgp's parts list. They're 12"sloppy-fit, which also makes them the same rotors an F-body uses, the bolt holes are drilled a bit larger to fit the two almost-but-not same bolt patterns.

For the F-body conversion, you need F-body front calipers from a 98-02 along with banjo bolts from the F-bodies, the holes have to be drilled and re-tapped to... 2 x 1.5mm, I think (I THINK!!), and they bolt right up using the stock bolts.

Advantage of F-body over W-body calipers? Aluminum, 2-piston(your pedal drops lower to stop the same, so it's a little bit to get used to), and TWICE the pad area stopping the car. I dunno why GM didn't do this to begin with, even if just for the upgraded GTP or GS platforms. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts