3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any body have any idea what this connector goes to ? It comes out of the same harness as the alternator power wire, fuel injector connectors and o2 sensor. Is it just for an accessory that wasn’t included in the NA cars or what ? Been disconnected like that since I bought it but the car runs good. Forgot to mention it’s a series 2 l36

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Looks like it's for the EVAP purge solenoid. If that's still connected, I can think harder or look up more info.

Car model, year? Wire colors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it's for the EVAP purge solenoid. If that's still connected, I can think harder or look up more info.

Car model, year? Wire colors?
It’s a 2001 Monte Carlo ss the 2 wires are orange and one w a black Stripe I’ll post a pic rn

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is just a spare plug on a NA 3800 series 2.
I agree.....working on cars for MANY YEARS, I've seen this over and over. Most of the time the plugs in the various wire harnesses are present even when the car may or may not have a use for unknown connectors. Basically, when cars are built most of the wiring is present even though the car does not have a use for it. Looking at this from an assembly stand point, it would be harder to build some with and some without misc connectors and more expensive on the assembly lines......... MR goodwrench

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve never seen that plug used for anything on 3800’s Na or sc cars. Must be an import option of some type. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree.....working on cars for MANY YEARS, I've seen this over and over. Most of the time the plugs in the various wire harnesses are present even when the car may or may not have a use for unknown connectors. Basically, when cars are built most of the wiring is present even though the car does not have a use for it. Looking at this from an assembly stand point, it would be harder to build some with and some without misc connectors and more expensive on the assembly lines......... MR goodwrench
How long you been a tech Goodwrench?
I’m about 15 years in but pursuing a flying career now.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Not much of a mystery. The only optional item would be an AIR injection pump for areas like CA that may have had them installed (I just bought one of those pumps for use as a boost-triggered vac for PCV).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts