3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Grey Ghost Lives!
Took a while but finally droped the engine in. After rechecking all hoses and connections, filling fluids, new starter, and a few other bits and pieces, I tried to start but still no spark. Had ign module tested and it was fine.

My nephew came back with a power probe and a checklist from easyautodiagnostics.com. they have a whole section just for troubleshooting no starts on 3800s. Well after poking around checking wires for power ground and signals, we finally got a coil to fire (3/6). Apparently the crank or cam sensor plugs were not making a good contact. Don't know for sure which but spark was very encouraging.

Recheck on plug wires and had a few crossed but was quickly remedied. Then found out idle air control was bad. 30 bucks for that and some Seafoam and premium gas and now she purrs like a kitten. Broke 150 miles after a test run and going to work yesterday, but still smokes. Another tank of regular and she should quit. :8

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Really great success story. Inspiring to see determination pay off!!
Nice way to start a Tuesday. Congrats and CHeers

· Registered
852 Posts
My first question was does the fuel system hold residual fuel pressure at mfg's specs? Those wet plugs could be from leaky injector or fuel regulator. Also, did you test the compression? I guess if you want to go all the way back to basics, you could unplug all six injectors and try firing it on starting fluid(be careful when doing this in case of a backfire) but also make sure the fuel regulator isn't leaking inducing fuel into the engine. If it does fire on starting fluid, you need to retest the fuel system.

Let us know what the final result ends up being the culprit..... Jake L.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Did not run a comprrssion or fuel presure test. My primary concern was to get running. Fine tuning is next. I'm still smoking from the seafoam and I just passed emissions this morning and afterwards put the hammer down. Plenty of pep but lets just say I'm not happy with my governer...:8

· Registered
852 Posts
If the engine hydro-locked like you mentioned, there is probably some coolant in the exhaust system. This usually take a day or two to "burn out". Seen this on several occasions. Glad it all went well for you....

· Registered
1 Posts
I have been in and out of forums, TSBs, YouTube hacks and other DIY tutorials for almost a week and think I have a unique situation on my hands. Thought I'd throw it on here and let you guys chew on it for a while.

Background:
Bought my 98 Olds with the last of my tax refund about a month ago. Car was tip top inside and out (as far as I could tell) and paid cash on the spot and drove her home. After about two weeks of errands and a few highway trips, the car was great. One day the wife drives it and it overheats. She pulled over to let it cool and called me up on the cell. I arrive shortly after with fresh water and we drove it back to the house. Put the water hose in the radiator and its almost completely empty. After filling, I take it on a test run. Everything seems good, so i punch it to hit the exit and come home and BAMM!! Hydrolock! Tear it down and found out about the UIM/LIM Problems on the 3800. And on top of that, bent a rod on number 5 cylinder.

The Repairs:
Found and fixed the hole in the Upper and pulled the piston and replaced the rod, even replaced rod bearings since I was down there already. Got everything buttoned back up with new bolts, gaskets, plugs, and fluids. Unfortunately I have a crank no start do deal with now. I have good spark on all 6, and know I've got fuel cause they came out wet after cranking for almost 20 seconds. Tried again the next day and she still wont turn over. Did some more research on everything from VATS to Ignition Modules to Body Controllers. Nothing comes close. All fuses good. Checked Cam and Crank sensors and timing (good also) but changed the sensors anyway just because I don't want to mess with it later.

It's been three weeks of hair pulling and nail biting every time I turn the key and still got nothing. Open to suggestions/comments/inspiration. Need this car up and running cause its all I got to find work and make money for the "toys" to add later...
if it has a security light on gm late 90’s early 2000’s are notorious for faulty security system that cuts power to the ignition to get the car started it happened to me with my impala 3800 series two and it was the immobilizer swapped it out and it sang like a bird again

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.