Coil on plug kit worth it?

• Yes

• No

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread to get help amd suggestions. Swapping my 3100 monte to a 3800 twin turbo, 3.1 has developed a rod knock and Ive put too much time into the 3.1 to care about it so Im going to be building a new engine top to bottom. Got my 3800 for 300 bucks currently torn apart in my garage ready to be rebuilt with upgraded internals. Got two junkyard turbos for 80 bucks, no play to the impellers so Im gonna run them until I can swap for some garrett's or smth. Planning to port my heads when I got time. Ive never done any of this but dang youtube sleepers got me hooked.

First questions. How do I tune it once its all built? Boost control or just gauges?
Planning to build my own turbo kit as Im a pretty good welder and I dont want to deal with droppin 3-5k on a kit that wont fit.
Any Ideas as to what ecu Ill need for it if I do need an aftermarket?
Looking for around 400 hp with room to grow.

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
What vehicle is this in? Glad you are trying to plan it out, because you'll be able to search here and elsewhere for tried & true methods for success. It's not too difficult to hit 400hp with a turbo 3800, as long as you fuel it properly.

A pcm/harness from a junkyard will give you all you need, and HPTuners is the basic method for doing anything necessary for a tune (you can even go thru ZZP to get you a starting file for a couple hundred to save the chance of blowing it up before you get to enjoy it some).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What vehicle is this in? Glad you are trying to plan it out, because you'll be able to search here and elsewhere for tried & true methods for success. It's not too difficult to hit 400hp with a turbo 3800, as long as you fuel it properly.

A pcm/harness from a junkyard will give you all you need, and HPTuners is the basic method for doing anything necessary for a tune (you can even go thru ZZP to get you a starting file for a couple hundred to save the chance of blowing it up before you get to enjoy it some).
This is going in a 99 monte carlo thats stock except for fuel pump, replaced it with a bigger pump when the first one failed on me. The 3800 is out of a 2003 impala, all the motor mounts line up with where the original motor mounts are. So stock pcm and a hptuner, thank you. The only thing holding me back from buying the rest of the build materials was whether or not I needed an aftermarket pcm/ecu so we are full throttle from here on out thank you :) also good idea for a zzp flash to get it runnin I hadnt thought of that yet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts