3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so Ive been playing with the idea of after college putting turbo(s) on my 2000 Lesabre N/A.

First off i was thinking of grabbing a newer 3800 before i turbo it. The reason i was thinking Twin was because if i use smallerish ones i would be able to keep the acoustics close to the stock. on the other hand a single would be much be easier.

What do you guys thing twin or single? I would like it to sleep along devouring any unsuspecting miatas :icon_twis

·
Registered
348 Posts
Miatas aren a very ambitious target unless you're talking about a corner...

I've never heard of anyone doing twins on an fwd 3800, but I suspect one could make a singlge more than quiet enough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go to zzperformance.com, they have great bolt-on turbo kits that works very well with our 3800's. I don't have one personally but I have friends that use them and they are very happy. plus with a good exhaust system, you can keep it quiet to maintain the "sleeper" effect.

You would spend more time and money into materials and fabrication trying to install two smaller turbos rather than going with a larger single. In my opinion, its not worth it.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I agree, and a single turbo might have more lag, but that is also a great traction aid with wrong wheel drive cars. Take advantage of it

Go to zzperformance.com, they have great bolt-on turbo kits that works very well with our 3800's. I don't have one personally but I have friends that use them and they are very happy. plus with a good exhaust system, you can keep it quiet to maintain the "sleeper" effect.

You would spend more time and money into materials and fabrication trying to install two smaller turbos rather than going with a larger single. In my opinion, its not worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to zzperformance.com, they have great bolt-on turbo kits that works very well with our 3800's.
I had seen it, just wasn't sure what people thought about it. I like that it would be around 2800 for the kit and then I can grab some beautiful junkyard hd when my tyranny kills itself or right away and have a emergency back up.

Do you have any idea how they do in snow, heavy rain and cold weather in general. Live in south Dakota for school and Minnesota for home. So ya its chilly. Any ideas on how it would fair? I know you need to give it warm up time for the oil and such. Any thing I'm not thinking of?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not a LeSabre, but I am putting a turbo on a 3800. With your space constraints I would go with a single turbo. You can easily make it quiet by dumping the wastegate into the down pipe and have the BOV vent be longer. Then downstream all you have to do is keep the converter, add a resonator, and a nice chambered muffler. It would probably be more quiet than stock, then.

I personally would piece together a kit before buying one. However, that is going to completely depend on skill set. Once done I will have around $2500 into my project and that includes the entire engine, transmission, clutch, flywheel, turbo, BOV, wastegate, intercooler, piping, MS II, etc. So looking at just the turbo setup you could get away with $1000 or so and maybe less if you go with used stuff.

I also live in MN and turbo cars love the cold weather, just ask my DD. Just need to make sure the intake is not sucking in water or anything. That will kill the turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses, based on my limited turbo knowledge (interwebs only), I will probably go with the z3 turbo kit.
I like the idea of getting an electric boost controller what's your thoughts? Base L36 for the most part so was thinking 6psi or so. Would a basic needle blow off valve be better for the application?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I picked up this T3/T4 60 trim turbo for $100 off ebay...It has a rather large AR for a T3 on the hotside which should allow it to breath and still spool up the T4 compressor wheel. You'll need a turbo that can flow at least 700 cfm in order for it to work. So you will need to look for GT30 and up turbos and 60 trims...You can also use a holset hx35 which is bigger than mine and similar in size to the bullseye that zzp uses.

I'm currently working on a 8-12# single turbo project for my dd 04 Impala LS with the N/A L36. Its actually pretty simple to fab up your own kit if you have a mig welder, a chop saw and lots of tubing. I'd suggest keeping the power level at or below 300 whp /300# fts unless you want to build a transmisson for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info that will help alot when I dive into the project down the road! Wish i had the money to jump on this now vs having to wait probably over a year, but i cant stop thinking of how fun it ll be to do. You should post pics of the final project for your impala.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well due to an unexpected low oil pressure related rod bearing failure it looks like I'm gonna have to rebuild the short block before I ever even get to slap on the turbo :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
It had a leaky oil pan gasket...So I changed it, which means I had to remove the Ac compressor, PS pump and the oil filter adapter. The filter adapter started leaking when I put it back on with a new gasket and think something went wrong with it and for some reason which I cant figure out but only assume something went wrong with the oil pump or pickup tube or the little piston that goes in that adapter, which caused it to drop a lifter and or a con rod bearing.The mains sound good but something just above them sounds like a bag of hammers falling down a stair case at around 3k rpms. I havent tore into it yet but I know it has either or both got a stuck lifter or spun a rod bearing bc it started knocking on me today. I did a compression test on the front bank and it checks out ok @180 on all 3 front cyls...I gotta do the back tomorrow. If both banks check out ok that means its definitely in the bottom end and not the valvetrain so the Short block will have to come out to get overhauled. I reckon I'll be sticking some better con rods (L26/L32) in the btm end and upgrading the lifters to LS7 rollers, LS6 valve springs and maybe some better ratio rockers. It all came at a bad time bc I also have my lightning tore down for its built motor swap and the impala is my dd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts