• no its impossible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure would love to see the completed project

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Been there, done that. Finally sold the blower, took off all kinds of weight out of the car and that was the end of that. You don't need that power robbing, heat generating supercharger.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Been there, done that. Finally sold the blower, took off all kinds of weight out of the car and that was the end of that. You don't need that power robbing, heat generating supercharger.
Winner Winner!!!!

Chicken ****ing Dinner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well i have a ported out supercharger now bottom ends built to the hills and wanted to add a turbo for the bottom end boost since i already have a high top end. I guess what im trying to do is launch boosting and then maintain a massive amount of bhp I need to find a local dyno shop cause my pontiac link in says some unreal numbers ha. somewhere around 415 i want to get up there to a 500 hp 3.8 but stil working on it. Front mount is next step

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Bottom End Boost????

Top End????

Translation Please.

Toss Blower in Trash if you want to go Turbo.

Twin Charging - Gay.

Ex.

2011 GT500 I tuned that was twin charged. Took 29 psi of boost to make 1000 to the tire. Blower came off and a sheet metal intake went on. Car made the same 1000 to the tire at 22 psi.

Translation - Motor is working its ass off and being stressed with the extra boost needed to make desired hp. Twin Charging makes as much sense as banging a hot chick with laundry list of STD's.

Now if you want to spray with a turbo or blower then its game on.

Get the idea out twin charging out of your head. Smoking crack is not cool and neither is twin charging.

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bottom End Boost????

Top End????

Translation Please.

Toss Blower in Trash if you want to go Turbo.

Twin Charging - Gay.

Ex.

2011 GT500 I tuned that was twin charged. Took 29 psi of boost to make 1000 to the tire. Blower came off and a sheet metal intake went on. Car made the same 1000 to the tire at 22 psi.

Translation - Motor is working its ass off and being stressed with the extra boost needed to make desired hp. Twin Charging makes as much sense as banging a hot chick with laundry list of STD's.

Now if you want to spray with a turbo or blower then its game on.

Get the idea out twin charging out of your head. Smoking crack is not cool and neither is twin charging.

Have a nice day. :)
WOW ok well ive seen a few cars that had the same concept i have been thinking about al little tuning and theyre monsters. If you believe its a bad idea then i guess what may be the right choice in more horse power im looking to get a bigger supercharger down the road but i want something more.

Do you really think sprayings the answer ?

used to own an sr20 swapped 240 blew my block apart with some spray so not a huge fan unless your the expert on it ha then im all ears to hear what i might have done wrong in the past and could look to correct on my bonnie

as of now i have 3.8 bored out .030 ,diamond pistons with hemipheric com,cam'd, 3.25 blower pulleys, ported, bigger injectors, 2nd stage chip

I'm looking to add a front mount or full stack i/c and maybe spray if this a possibility. I need some exterior mods know where i can find a cowled hood?

need some help and no idea where to start

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok...let me start and explain some things to you about these engines...

We'll start with you boring it out..

These blocks, while they are iron and strong.. They are thin walled cylinders. What you did..You thinned it out even more. So, while yes, you threw in stronger pistons. You still weakened it by thinning out the cylinders. And to add, I can guarantee that the block was not properly balanced when bored out. So it was probably not done on a line bore.

There is a reason guys are out there running 600 whp turbo builds on stock bottom ends.

Next...

Twin charging. It is a fun setup. Not many people have them. But, it is just that...Fun and an attention getter, nothing more, nothing less. You will still, probably only make 400 wheel at best. Would you like to know why?...Okay, okay I will tell you. It is that piece of **** eaton sitting on top of your engine. GM really screwed themselves when they didn't stick with the w2a setup they had on the prototypes for the 6th gen cars. But alas, if that would have went in to production...GM wouldn't have sold as many ls1 cars because they couldn't have a grand prix 4 door dick stomping the all mighty trans am.

Third. We are coming back to the supercharger.. It blows.....HEAT.

That's about it for the m90. It has no potential to make real power. Unless you put some dumbass small pulley on it, spinning it welllllllll out of it's long gone efficiency range and with a ground stomping cam and e85. Even then, an m90 will struggle to touch 500 whp.

Now, when it comes to a turbo.

Don't be fooled by the engine size and everyone that says you can't put a giant turbo on a 3.8. Most go with a z7 kit from zzp. They think a t67 is the perfect size for this engine and most 3800 owners think it is a large turbo....The snail sitting in my garage that is waiting for my gp will eat a t67 and **** it out in a second. These engines can handle a very large turbo and make amazing power out of it.

So, we have learned a few things...M90s suck, Don't EVER touch the bottom end of a 3800 or forever be cursed by it and lastly, turbo is where it's at.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok...let me start and explain some things to you about these engines...

We'll start with you boring it out..

These blocks, while they are iron and strong.. They are thin walled cylinders. What you did..You thinned it out even more. So, while yes, you threw in stronger pistons. You still weakened it by thinning out the cylinders. And to add, I can guarantee that the block was not properly balanced when bored out. So it was probably not done on a line bore.

There is a reason guys are out there running 600 whp turbo builds on stock bottom ends.

Next...

Twin charging. It is a fun setup. Not many people have them. But, it is just that...Fun and an attention getter, nothing more, nothing less. You will still, probably only make 400 wheel at best. Would you like to know why?...Okay, okay I will tell you. It is that piece of **** eaton sitting on top of your engine. GM really screwed themselves when they didn't stick with the w2a setup they had on the prototypes for the 6th gen cars. But alas, if that would have went in to production...GM wouldn't have sold as many ls1 cars because they couldn't have a grand prix 4 door dick stomping the all mighty trans am.

Third. We are coming back to the supercharger.. It blows.....HEAT.

That's about it for the m90. It has no potential to make real power. Unless you put some dumbass small pulley on it, spinning it welllllllll out of it's long gone efficiency range and with a ground stomping cam and e85. Even then, an m90 will struggle to touch 500 whp.

Now, when it comes to a turbo.

Don't be fooled by the engine size and everyone that says you can't put a giant turbo on a 3.8. Most go with a z7 kit from zzp. They think a t67 is the perfect size for this engine and most 3800 owners think it is a large turbo....The snail sitting in my garage that is waiting for my gp will eat a t67 and **** it out in a second. These engines can handle a very large turbo and make amazing power out of it.

So, we have learned a few things...M90s suck, Don't EVER touch the bottom end of a 3800 or forever be cursed by it and lastly, turbo is where it's at.
"GM wouldn't have sold as many ls1 cars because they couldn't have a grand prix 4 door dick stomping the all mighty trans am. "

First off BEST Quote I've ever seen LOL!

Second off, I'm a pretty noob when it comes to understanding engines and every aspect of modding, however, I do read a lot and understand there are reasons for having stock bottom end on the 3.8's. I figured they were thin the way they are or that there was SOME reason all the high HP 3.8's had stock lowers.

Third most, is there any substitution (or interchanging different lobes) that you can do to properly, as you put it, "dick stomp." Turbo is the best way to go, that I do understand, but is there not another way to get more power from a SC? Aside from pulley sizes and boring it out?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Add nitrous and hope your trans chain doesn't explode like mine did!!!..;-) cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
"GM wouldn't have sold as many ls1 cars because they couldn't have a grand prix 4 door dick stomping the all mighty trans am. "

First off BEST Quote I've ever seen LOL!

Second off, I'm a pretty noob when it comes to understanding engines and every aspect of modding, however, I do read a lot and understand there are reasons for having stock bottom end on the 3.8's. I figured they were thin the way they are or that there was SOME reason all the high HP 3.8's had stock lowers.

Third most, is there any substitution (or interchanging different lobes) that you can do to properly, as you put it, "dick stomp." Turbo is the best way to go, that I do understand, but is there not another way to get more power from a SC? Aside from pulley sizes and boring it out?
There is one way: get an Gen VI (Eaton TVS series) blower off the appropriate car and install it. Still not as much power as turbo, but much more efficient than the Gen V and older blowers. The TVS Eatons are pretty much what the OEM's (CTS-V, ZR1 Vette, Audi S6, Mustang Shelby GT500) are using these days in their current cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is one way: get an Gen VI (Eaton TVS series) blower off the appropriate car and install it. Still not as much power as turbo, but much more efficient than the Gen V and older blowers. The TVS Eatons are pretty much what the OEM's (CTS-V, ZR1 Vette, Audi S6, Mustang Shelby GT500) are using these days in their current cars.
Does anyone here know a good place to get the TVS series? Also is there any series number in particular that someone knows works well with the 3.8? I'd give them my core from the mine right now and pay the difference for one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone here know a good place to get the TVS series? Also is there any series number in particular that someone knows works well with the 3.8? I'd give them my core from the mine right now and pay the difference for one.
Place? Heard that they are used on the blown Cobalt SS cars, check the Cobalt SS forums.

Go to regalgs.org and look for the older posts by juniorN316, he put a TVS1320 on his Regal GS with good results. (Then he went turbo.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Place? Heard that they are used on the blown Cobalt SS cars, check the Cobalt SS forums.

Go to regalgs.org and look for the older posts by juniorN316, he put a TVS1320 on his Regal GS with good results. (Then he went turbo.)
Yeah I've seen his sleeper video on youtube. I wonder how he managed to put the charger on it. Also, wouldn't a mustang S/C be more appropriate then a cobalt one? Interesting.

·
Registered
752 Posts

The logical route a performance enthusiast takes, some before spending a ton of $$$ and others after, your call. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The logical route a performance enthusiast takes, some before spending a ton of $$$ and others after, your call. ;)
Teach me the ways of the turbo? Were do I get started then. I mean I love my supercharger and wouldn't mind doing the TVS and I would be happy with 350hp I am also looking for decent gas mileage. I have seen the zzp kits but they are in the 3 thousand dollar range, which rustles my jimmies.

In case anyone else cared about the TVS blower from Junior: Swapping my GenV for a TVS1320 - Drivetrain - RegalGS
I found the forum post, it took me a little while but I found it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you piece the turbo kit yourself with the least amount of labor into it you can get the powerlogs and the turbo crossover+ downpipe from zz for $600, the rest of the stuff you can get on ebay cheap. Turbo will run you $250-300 (some people bash the chinese turbos but I have used them for a long time with great results on other cars, as long as they are setup right). BOV is around $50, $25 for boost controller, the turbo will be internally gated so no need to spend more money on a wastegate.. Intercooler+ piping for $200. You will need bigger injectors (with any build) and a better fuel pump (I would just install an inline external pump and not mess with the fuel tank), gut the supercharger. All together you won't spend more than $1500 but it will take some wrenching and a couple of trips to your welder if you don't do it yourself. The results? Easily 400WHP if you play it right. Oh and a tune from Dyno Brian or a mail order INTENSE PCM will complete it. You just need to know where to stop with the power and set your goals accordingly, because once you feel it, you will always want more so you need to buy the right parts the first time. For 400WHP the stock exhaust should be ok, 2.5" intercooler piping and a single sided intercooler 29x9x3.5 will do, 60lb injectors, 61mm turbo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you piece the turbo kit yourself with the least amount of labor into it you can get the powerlogs and the turbo crossover+ downpipe from zz for $600, the rest of the stuff you can get on ebay cheap. Turbo will run you $250-300 (some people bash the chinese turbos but I have used them for a long time with great results on other cars, as long as they are setup right). BOV is around $50, $25 for boost controller, the turbo will be internally gated so no need to spend more money on a wastegate.. Intercooler+ piping for $200. You will need bigger injectors (with any build) and a better fuel pump (I would just install an inline external pump and not mess with the fuel tank), gut the supercharger. All together you won't spend more than $1500 but it will take some wrenching and a couple of trips to your welder if you don't do it yourself. The results? Easily 400WHP if you play it right. Oh and a tune from Dyno Brian or a mail order INTENSE PCM will complete it. You just need to know where to stop with the power and set your goals accordingly, because once you feel it, you will always want more so you need to buy the right parts the first time. For 400WHP the stock exhaust should be ok, 2.5" intercooler piping and a single sided intercooler 29x9x3.5 will do, 60lb injectors, 61mm turbo.
How the hell do some of you guys do it? You just know how to tear apart **** and put it back together with crazy ass customizations? I realize some of you guys started out by ripping cars apart and putting them back together. I bought my first car (2001 Olds Alero) for 8k, I saved up for a very long time. Now I got a S/C Impala ss. I never really got to dig around in them. All though I'd love to design and put a turbo on my car myself, I don't have the knowledge nor do I trust myself to rip them apart. I do understand how turbos work and most of the items you listed. I just dont understand how they need to be setup, but I'd never be able to do it. Where would you get started? How would I seal off the S/C? There isn't like a universal part I can just throw on it..I'm so new to all of this it makes me sick. I want to learn and I want to tear my **** apart and do it. Just don't have the basic knowledge to do it, and I'm afraid to mess something up real bad..lol. This is going to sound stupid but is there anything out there that helped you guys work on your cars or do you just wing it? Anything that you use for a baseline or anything that helped you learn? I'm reading and researching all the time on how to do things, how they work, how to make them better. I want to learn. Maybe I should see if I can get my hands on a cheapo car and do whatever the hell I want to it...start from there. I got no idea.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Get a manual to read and start doing the basic maintenance on your vehicle. Get familiar with the components, where they are, what they do, etc.
Leave the advanced modifications for later, after you have done the easier ones.
Do alot of research and ask questions. Try to learn from other's mistakes and successes.
Always remember that there are several different ways to do the same things.
Most of all, have fun doing it. The rewards for a job well done are great.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts