3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who have turbos, what dimensions are you using? what brand? how big of one will fit? how hard was installation, any customizing? Share your experiences

·
Registered
29 Posts
stuffy236 said:
for those who have turbos, what dimensions are you using? what brand? how big of one will fit? how hard was installation, any customizing? Share your experiences
Last year I used an Air 2 Air IC out of a Supra, was not impressed with it at all, was a big IC but I found out with my driving it heated up rather fast and took up way too much space. I was always having issues with leaks due to the amount of bends and turbo hose not sealing or blowing off during a hard run.

So last winter I bought a Spearco Wir 2 Water intercooler. Not Cheap :( The IC alone is worth about $400 and up, then you need a heat exchanger another $100 and up, then you need a pump, another $80 and up. You'll also want to run a good switch to turn it on or off, this can run you around $20. But all in all it takes up little space, I have mine sitting in my fenderwell and the pump tucked up underneith and the heat exchanger in the front. Water cools better then Air thus you will get a colder charge with an Air 2 Water IC but it is complex. If you want simple go with the Air 2 Air. If you want the best, then the Air 2 Water IC IMO is the way to go. Some will not agree with me on that though. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you decide to go with an Air-Air IC instead. The best brand out is Spearco. The best type out is called "Bar and Plate". Suppose to be up to 30% more efficient than "tube and fin" ICs.

Basically anything you can get to fit will work. Spearco provides max horsepower numbers on their ICs along with flow numbers. Just make sure you pic one that is big enough to flow all the air your turbo is pushing, but not to big to slow it down and decrease boost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was going to ask about the bar and plates. id never really seen them before. I will probably go with a slightly bigger IC than i will need so i dont have to upgrade later. A/W intercoolers is like chinese to me. Plus the front mount looks a lot cooler (no pun intended)

·
Registered
29 Posts
stuffy236 said:
i was going to ask about the bar and plates. id never really seen them before. I will probably go with a slightly bigger IC than i will need so i dont have to upgrade later. A/W intercoolers is like chinese to me. Plus the front mount looks a lot cooler (no pun intended)
lol, you can have the look of the Air 2 Air in the front with the Air 2 Water, you still need to run a big heat exhanger in the front with an Air 2 Water, and it looks just like a big IC, just alot slimmer. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts