3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZZP offers a flash tune that iv heard good and bad about it. I have a 00 regal gs when i bought the car it had the ZZP stage 2 3800 kit on it. which to my knowledge came with that flash tune on the pcm. I thought it was great the car ran perfect. then i put a snow water meth kit in it had it tuned by a shop in Colorado and we got more horse power out of her but idk if it was purely the water meth or the new tune it had. Now every time the regal goes into open loop the O2 sensor in bank one goes ape **** and the car feels horrible. any case im in the middle of a turbo build and tunning is coming up do guys think take it to a tune shop or let ZZP do it.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
I would scrap the meth kit and get a tune fresh from them again. They actually do a good job if you do the remote deal and you actually use the laptop/cable they send with info. Check out their YouTube videos on that over the past 1-2yrs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good in theory but zzp has been real bad lately about getting to the customer in a timely manner. blows my mind all the money i throw at them and they act like you've never done business together. Any one else getting this typical "its the viruses fault" from them or just me. Im thinking find a tune shop in town cut to the chase and get it done in a day.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
A "tune shop" is not going to have the decades of experience with our exact platform, unfortunately. That's what benefit you get from working with guys doing thousands of 3800 tunes per year. There's just too many little nuances that Jimbo with an HPTuner and a dyno isn't going to get 1st or even 2nd time around, especially with most making their living on LS's and such with a completely different approach.

As far as ZZP's attitude in recent years, I 100% agree. They've hired on a bunch of kids in the past few years that adopt an unearned sense of accomplishment via association with the 3 founding guys who actually got the company on top of this specific market. The rest came along after it was established and act like that little yip yip dog next to the big bulldog in cartoons, standing on their shoulders, and some other analogies.

I'd just figure out what approach and interactions you're comfortable making, and go for it. This is your money in the end, and I'm just giving an opinion based on what I've observed and interacted with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No doubt and thanks dave like the feedback i enjoyed the analogy gave me a chuckle. About 4 years ago i got into the 3800 platform naturally ZZP was the place to go. You would call with a question it got answered parts got to you in a timely manner. These past months iv delt with so manny stuck up ZZP service reps that didnt kno what they were even talking about. Almost like they were reading the description right off the website they gave no real info .the vague description on the site and 2 reps told me a part wouldn't bolt up even though i explained the entire build. I didnt fully understand the set up. they build the kit, so i would assume they knew there product. ya right not till i hopped on these forums it became clear i could use it and the other half of the reps were just mad about doing there job makes no sense. Only people there that were of any help was a man named ryan and a women named becky. I doubt they will let me deal with them personally when it comes to tuning the car . don't want to risk dealing with some kid my age over at zzp who doesn't kno what hes talking about and mess up my tune. The tune shop i know here specifically deals with GM's 3800,LS, Etc. But to be honest they too will treat you like a second class customer if your build isn't a 1000hp monster. For my regal to get tuned it took all kinds of appointments. I would show up as soon as they opened ready to go and they would have a car already on the dyno from the night before. Typical runaround make me wait wouldn't even call me like hey were behind none of that. would wait for me to show up and explain to me how this project got carried over yatta yatta. Felling a little stuck. Not any were near the tuning stage just yet but its coming and id like to have a plan to execute.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem with ZZP. I bought HPT + Pro from them among many other pricey parts. Once I finally got everything (they forgot to send the Pro link so it was probably a month later) they treated me like a complete stranger. They even tried telling me that remote tuning wasn't something that they do. I decided to keep my business with them to a complete minimum. Unless they have something I can't get anywhere else, they don't get my business anymore. Even then, I can probably find their stuff used.

Jose, where are you located? I had to take a day off work to get my car to Columbus, but Dyno Tune Motorsports was worth the drive. Brian knows his 3800s, and my Camaro runs pretty dang good even with the bastard ECM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They keep you in the dark till the last possible moment. Throw you some bad news and expect you to be fine about it. I agree 100% keep it to the bare minimum dont give these a**clowns anymore of your hard earned money. I have countless emails of them jerking me around being rude and unprofessional. Wish i could post them on there website let everyone kno the kind of scumbags their dealing with. ZZP would just erase them either way.its so aggravating dealing with them. It wasn't always like this. When i got my regal gs bout 4 years ago i threw about $5000 at it mostly ZZP stuff. Went super smooth parts came quick. I never had to call and email them about my order. With my turbo build i started last year it was nothing but a hassle when it came to ZZP. Its never were sorry what can we do to fix this? Its more along the lines of "if dont want to wait we can cancel orders for you" or "were having problems you'll get it when you get it." Both of those responses are unexpectable and i have them in emails with those exact words.There website for example states it can be adapted for Bonneville on many parts. ya sure you call and ask about it these bastards tell you that the website doesn't say ZZP will adapt it. all it says is that it can be adapted. As in you better have a welder and grinder at home and all kinds of tools skills and knowledge for parts that were advertised as BOLT ONS! This is misleading,they boderline lie to you right in the descriptions i told them this over the phone dam near a year ago. You think its been changed nope. hell i doubt the rep i talked to said a word about it. Probably just trying to get me off the phone so they could go to lunch. Try telling ZZP this? i did and i have but the more you call and email them. the longer they have there little power trip and keep your PAID IN FULL car parts hostage. Just insanity to me. You ever watch the episode of south park were there dealing with the cable company and the cable company seems to be getting off on the fact that there severely inconveniencing the customer. exactly what this feels like 🤣

I stay in Colorado buddy Columbus would be one hell of a drive. I have a trailer and truck and im sure your boy brain is a pro with the 3800's just the diesel and risk of driving it all that way doesn't really seem feasible. Thanks for the suggestion thou its something to consider.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
I should be moving to Omaha in a couple months. Not sure of my work schedule, yet, but might be willing to help for a weekend or so with whatever step you're at by then.

Still, figure out what your plan is going forward, and as things come up, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dave that's real nice of you i would like that. All keep everything current im on a lil vaycay right now. ( was guna go insane chilling at my house waiting for parts) thought id get my mind off the car for a couple of days. Hopefully when i get back theirs a mountain of car parts waiting so i can put the block back together. Also im in the middle of pulling the struts and sway bars off the Pontiac SSEI but i hit a wall. the shocks in both cars (97 lesabre 97 SSEI)
Are structural points for the suspension. So if i take em out the car is immobilized and i want it to roll so a tow truck can get it out of my house. Any ideas? And thank you guys so much for all the support and feed back.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Gonna need 4 jack stands, and put one end up on both, do the swap, and drop them to repeat at the other ends. Theoretically, you could YOLO with just a jack under one/etc., but not worth risking a drop for the $25-ish that some basic stands cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts