3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone told me larger diameter exaust piping makes it quieter.

I have 2.5" now so going to 3" would make it quieter. I suppose I could believe that, but I could also believe it would make it louder.

SLP headers into SLP cat, 2.5" from cat into 2 2.5" Flowmaster muffs.

Its not too loud for me but the cops dont really care for it too much.

Scott

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. But if you think about it more, you could say that with smaller pipe, there is more gases trying to escape through a smaller opening at the same velocity therefore making it louder and more rappy.

I dont know, thats why Im asking. Thanks for the reply though

Scott

·
Registered
238 Posts
smooth said:
i'm so rry but he was wrong
basically the larger the diameter the more air you got moving through, so the louder it will be, i cant remeber the website but maybe someone else will know but there is an exhaust sound web page im sure you can easly compare the exhaust note there

edit for spelling if there is any , its late and i cant think straight right now :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I can tell you that your moving the same AMOUNT of air regardless of piping size unless your exhuast is really restrictive. But larger pipe is louder I have the same setup as a local guy with 3in before the y and I have 2.5 his id noticably louder.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks everyone. If anyone knows that exhaust sound website you should post it. Id like to listen to different systems and compare.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
exhaust videos

Hey I have a site that could use but I am also wondering if anyone can give me a link that would lead right to a place where I can buy an exhaust and intake for a 98 ssei and if i where to use a 3.4 pulley would exhaust and intake be all I need. Is there any chips for ssei 98. Oh yea the site is magnaflow www.magnaflow.com they have different sound clips there just pick the kind of car go in and click the part number and most have 2 or 3 sound clips like drive by or launch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For now on my car I have stock manifolds, u-bend deleate, the resinator, the stock one at that still installed, from there its custom:

1st time was 2.5" pipe from the resinator back, made a custom "Y" joint and it went into some dual chamber Flowmasters.

Got in a accident - rear ended:

All that fresh new exhaust work smashed. Cost me a carbon fiber tip, the right one, and also bent the outlet and inlet of the right muffler too.

Got the exhaust work redone, same exact mufflers as they were only about 4 months old before the accident, and found me a new tip...lucky there as they are not made anymore and this time I told him, "Same thing as you did be fore, and make any changes as you see fit."

Well he did.

Now I have the exact same set up, this time I have 3" pipes from the resinator back.

I didnt notice a difference in sound at all. Drone about the same...3rd gear about 2,000 RPM is when you get the most I have found. Sounds really cool when you hold that RPM and roll down your window and go under a bridge. :D

I will let you know what it soulds like after I get this engine done and installed. It will have some TOG's and a new down pipe with a cat. But I bet the new stage 3 blower/nitrous cam will change the sound for sure.

~Farnsworth~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts