3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me clarify- basically I'm still on stock s/c pulley but running a smaller alt pulley smaller idler and tensioner pulleys as well a ac delete( still a pulley there just running a smaller one) had my pulleys machined by a local guy out of billet using same bearings as would come with retail pulleys. Now I know this is about trans so with that bieng said my kr is only 2-3 degrees monitored regularly besides the pulleys bieng changed and ac delete I don't want to drop the s/c pulley size without getting the charger ported polished etc... But I've had huge problems with traction duh... These cars become torque monsters. My question is I've seen the trans kits and so on and I got a tip about some half shafts capable of high hp so what are some good companies to get trans parts for basically I will be going the whole nine with my w-body- cam kit is in garage along with diff pistons and I'm locating a balanced crank currently and this and that yes it will take time but this stock trans ratio and shift points I can't deal with as of right now to me I'm basically stock besides the diff pulleys besides the s/c and crank,p.s.pump wich are stock. exhaust headers and 2/1 didn't like the dual setup but besides the intake exhaust and the diff pulleys I'm having trac probs so before I tear the block down to get Nasty what's the best trans option for a decently fast daily??? Looking to make around 400ish tuned with I guess you would say mild mods? Yes I know there is more to be done than said as far as the motor is concerned like boring over aftermarket heads ECM tuning and so on so let's save that out. I just want my trans to take what she is getting now before I go all in because I would do trans work/re- build while doing tear down on block for other mods and der ya go!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
First: 400 HP is not done with light mods. Larger injectors, cam, intercooler or corn gas, headers, pulley changes, pcm work, etc.

Trans: If you stay with mild mods to no more than 300 HP, a shift kit, change to dexron 6 trans fluid, AND PCM modified for your upgraded horsepower, may work.
MY trans chain exploded when I was going almost 40mph when I hit a 150HP nitrous shot. Trans chain held up prior to that. I deleted the cat converter and upgraded to 50% corn gas.

You must use the larger ingle chain 7/8" and gears AND the stronger input shaft
or you will end up being towed. I just dropped off my car last night for install of the imput shaft and a few other upgrades.

Tripple Edge Performance is well known for building strong transmissions for our cars. Dave is very helpful and patient. I bought some parts from TEP recently, and they should have a trans shift kit for you...CHeers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Yea PCM was a gimmie and already running stainless steel headers. Larger injectors are next on list but will be done with the cam and roller setup as well as ignition changes but as far as an inter cooler I don't want one. Yes I know the pros and cons of having one but once it's heat soaked it's just there in my opinion. If I was going turbo then of course but I can deal with the cons of not having one. I purposely searched for a non intercooled l67 for a reason. As far as the drive chain issue thanks for the heads up seriously!!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yea PCM was a gimmie and already running stainless steel headers. Larger injectors are next on list but will be done with the cam and roller setup as well as ignition changes but as far as an inter cooler I don't want one. Yes I know the pros and cons of having one but once it's heat soaked it's just there in my opinion. If I was going turbo then of course but I can deal with the cons of not having one. I purposely searched for a non intercooled l67 for a reason. As far as the drive chain issue thanks for the heads up seriously!!!!!
What is the difference between a turbo and a supercharger as far as intercooling is concerned if I may ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intercoolers

A intercooler is a heat exchange unit basically when using forced induction or compressing Air it tends to raise in temp so an intercooler work the same for turboed And supercharged engines to create a more dense charge of air entering the intake giving you a few more hp based on a lower air temp and a few other parameters but for me the gains wouldn't be that significant to worry about I can easily create the extra hp elsewhere if I'm doing a drag run lets say.... Just three passes I might do the oldschool trick with dry ice intake but this is only for as long as the dry ice is providing the dense cold air now turbos heat the intake gas tremendously based on how a turbo creates boost so it is a must to have an intercooler to keep a cold enough charge or air to make a decently greater hp gain than a non intercooler turbo engine. Hope this helps but I'm not a pro no where close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intercoolers

Now for daily driving if I understand this correctly the intercooler would heat soak in traffic unless you had a dedicated fan for just the intercooler and even some high hp gnx buick sues a giant intercooler w/dedicated fan even though the car is for drag strip only too cool the intercooler between runs. Yes if I had the space to run a big intercooler with a dedicated fan cool. Just not me rather just not have one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am familiar with the intercooling concepts. I just wanted to know why you would use one with a turbo'ed car and not a supercharged one.
There is another consideration that you did not mention....When the intake charge is sufficiently heated the possibilities of pre-ignition and detonation are significantly increased. It is not all about HP development. I see it as an insurance policy on the significant investment that you are going to make in the motor. You could also look into meth/water injection and/or using E-85 as alternatives or additions.

The dry ice is a good trick for drag racing but....what about the times you are driving on the street? or is this a drag only car?

Good Luck and Have Fun!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry, evidently we were posting at the same time.
You could use a water to air intercooler to save room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intercooler

Righ now just a project I drive to see how add one have affected things and yea pre der is a motor killer for sure but basically this will be a fun drag project to teach my sons about give and take with different cars the only reason I even mentioned the Ice trick is me and my father use to do it on his pro barged 566 dart block with sweet results on the strip but yea good cath on the not have mentioned pre det. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drag only yes.

My w-body eventually be a drag only car and yes an intercooler may be in order but for now no thanks not enough to justify the install and parts ( for now)

·
Registered
612 Posts
As you build it up....make sure that you have good scanning software and watch diligently for KR. With that said I would suggest a good tuning suite so that you may keep your tune conservative.
NP on the spelling....I use the backspace button all the time...:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed sir!

Thanks alot I've got along way to go it will take time for me to learn the ropes ( one reason I've joined the forum) I look forward to giving my sons a fwd vehicle that will hold it's own with respect as well with heritage as far as mine bieng a buick full size sedan that's capable of running down sports cars but doesn't appear to be able to do so unless the person has a trained eye and ear!!!! Not to mention the 3.8 in any configuration was to me the last boss hog pushrod v6's although I think the n/a version should have been built like the l67 as far as material strengths and the l67 block should have been the crowning achievement for that series like what was done with just a stock gnx ya know... Good ole emissions and economy and manufacturer demands blah blah I wouldn't trade mine for the world unless it's another 3.8/bored version seen these motors run with pistons slapping the heads taking chunks out but still keep moving on!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts