3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my engine pull today. 2004 Impala SS 3.8 & 4T65E-HD. Everything was going smooth until I got to the passenger side. I got 4 bellhousing-block bolts out but unable to continue due to the transmission to block bracket on the passenger side. I am able to get the two bolts out holding the bracket to the transmission but I dont even see a way to remove the bolts holding it to the block. And if I am correct, the #5 b*tch bellhousing bolt is way behind this bracket i am unable to remove right? I have two 20" extensions for the bolt when I am able to get to it.

I gave up for the night and going back out tomorrow morning to put it all back together or finish it if I get some answers here. Any help is greatly appreciated everyone. I have searched online and all i have been able to find is "Remove bolts holding transmission bracket to block"...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went through this an couple of weeks ago so I feel your pain lol. You can get the bracket off of the block pretty easily, try removing the PS pump. Then the bitch bolt will be a straight shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I'm a newbie and wanted to chime in on this topic. I started my L67 to L67 swap yesterday and I just wanted to say thianks for the tip on the "B" bolt. Got it out last night and swapped a couple things to the new engine so I can drop it in this morning. Just wanted to say thanks a ton for the info on the bolt. Made a world of difference!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Its 18mm and if u take a flash light and look u can see it just be patient

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went through this an couple of weeks ago so I feel your pain lol. You can get the bracket off of the block pretty easily, try removing the PS pump. Then the bitch bolt will be a straight shot.
Can you tell me how many bell housing bolts there are total

·
Registered
167 Posts
I pulled the bitch bolt fairly easily from the passenger wheel well using about 3 1/2 foot of extensions. This was a N/A engine however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fought this one for about an hour then removed the bracket between motor and transmission by the axle. And had it off in about ten minutes. I’m going to throw that bolt away.

·
Super Moderator
493 Posts
A bunch of people have gone without it, and been fine. I'd just be sure to continue using the diff bracket and occasionally check torque on the other bellhousing bolts. I personally run it still, since I can usually access it from 1-2 different ways/tools, and want maximum hold for higher-powered builds, especially.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts