3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started to shudder and I had a pan drop service at my friend's shop couple weeks ago, we found some clutch material at the pan, so the mechanic told me that the torque converter in my '96 Riviera is giving up. My car only has 86k miles and it was owned by elders before, I can't believe this crap. Anyway, we filled it up with Dex VI, put some Lubegard shudder fix and transmission fluid conditioner in it, not helping.

The car drives fine under normal throttle, but it would shake if you floor it over 3000rpm, the car also acts funny in OD lockup. Sometimes it's trying to "hunt" for the lockup and get in/out of the lockup at around 55mph. I replaced the spark plugs, wires and coils, read the engine data to make sure there's no engine problems. That narrows it down to transmission problem. The computer shows the solenoids are working properly, so it's got to be a torque converter issue.
Since the rebuild is gonna be $1300, I wonder if I can install the Transgo shift kit to buy me some time?

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
If the converter has crapped out, adding a shift kit, even a nice one like Transgo, isn't going to change that problem of it not engaging properly and hunting for overdrive lock-up. The TC needs to be pulled via engine or trans removal, and replaced at minimum (usually good to have transmission rebuilt at this time, too, but you may get lucky with just a fresh TC, if you want to risk it for the biscuit).

Dealing with a similar situation on my GXP (Transgo install 30k ago, if I recall), and it's getting a trans swap and new TC to ensure it doesn't leave anything to chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts