3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. In the spring I will be having some trans work done on my CSC'd L36. I am going to get the TC350 and the 3:69:1 gears. I will also be getting the VSS reluctor and SRC. What else should I have them do while the trans is out? Clutches, imput shaft, etc. Are they necessary or can I do without them....$$$ :eek: I already have the HD conversion with LSD, and forged output shaft. I heard that a TC400 is way to high for street use with my NOVI 1000. Anyone else agree? I want the trans to be strong and streetable. The car is a daily driver with little track time. What else are weak parts that should be upgraded? I will of course be going to DYNOTECH for all the work.
Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas people? Anything at all?

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
Ok. In the spring I will be having some trans work done on my CSC'd L36. I am going to get the TC350 and the 3:69:1 gears. I will also be getting the VSS reluctor and SRC. What else should I have them do while the trans is out? Clutches, imput shaft, etc. Are they necessary or can I do without them....$$$ :eek: I already have the HD conversion with LSD, and forged output shaft. I heard that a TC400 is way to high for street use with my NOVI 1000. Anyone else agree? I want the trans to be strong and streetable. The car is a daily driver with little track time. What else are weak parts that should be upgraded? I will of course be going to DYNOTECH for all the work.
Thanks

for about 550 you can get the intense tranny internals and have a shop build that. For that car you thought about 3.29 gears, I know a novi is closer to a turbo than a roots blower, and I know turbos like to have less gear so they can pull longer and harder through the rpms, just food for thought

·
Banned
189 Posts
Frank,

I think that with your power adder, if you drag race much at all, your input shaft is a weak link. Eric at Dynotech
will be able to make clutch recommendations for your setup.
A pawl sprag kit is a thought as well. They are only a few bucks more than an overhaul kit for the stock one.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dougsgtp said:
for about 550 you can get the intense tranny internals and have a shop build that. For that car you thought about 3.29 gears, I know a novi is closer to a turbo than a roots blower, and I know turbos like to have less gear so they can pull longer and harder through the rpms, just food for thought
So your suggesting 3.29 gears instead of 3.69?

BIG JEFF, I have never been to the track but am planning on going a little next season. The car is a daily driver so I want it reliable but I also don't want to spend more than I have to. I want the essentials but nothing that's unecessary for me at this time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
So your suggesting 3.29 gears instead of 3.69?

BIG JEFF, I have never been to the track but am planning on going a little next season. The car is a daily driver so I want it reliable but I also don't want to spend more than I have to. I want the essentials but nothing that's unecessary for me at this time.

I would, with a compressor type f/i (turbo or csc) the longer you can keep them under the load the better they will perform, if you have 3.29 gears you wont be blastin through first and second, You will pull longer in each gear. Friend of mine has 3.69's with his genV and first gear is a snap of a finger, second is pretty quick too, you want to be able to spend some time goin through the rpms, The turbo car of intense ran into this problem. They started with 3.69's and went to the 3.29's and saw a lot better performing car, Scott or Jeff can go into more details on their car, but with a csc id go with 3.29's, like I said thats just me and what ive seen.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doug. That's something I'll have to look into and give some thought. That's why I came to the forum. I wanted the info from the guys who've seen or experienced it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else have any suggestions as what to get? I will call Eric at DYNOTECH when I get a chance, but I'd like to know from you guys too. Remember it's a daily driver. I wont be doing a lot of racing, but when I do I'd like the trans to hold up.

Does anyone know what the stock gearing is in an L36/4t65 non-HD? I heard someone say it's 3.29. I always thought it was lower than that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
Does anyone know what the stock gearing is in an L36/4t65 non-HD? I heard someone say it's 3.29. I always thought it was lower than that.

that is correct

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is correct? Is it 3.29 or lower? If it is 3.29, then I should get 3.69, right? Why did you suggest 3.29?

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
What is correct? Is it 3.29 or lower? If it is 3.29, then I should get 3.69, right? Why did you suggest 3.29?

the gt's tranny is a 3.29 gear, id would just stay with that

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. That saves me a ton of $$ that I can use for the other parts. What do you think is a good stall tc for me? I want good street drivability as well as decent track performance. I was thinking TC350. Any other recommendations? Clutch wise or anything?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dougsgtp said:
I would, with a compressor type f/i (turbo or csc) the longer you can keep them under the load the better they will perform, if you have 3.29 gears you wont be blastin through first and second, You will pull longer in each gear. Friend of mine has 3.69's with his genV and first gear is a snap of a finger, second is pretty quick too, you want to be able to spend some time goin through the rpms, The turbo car of intense ran into this problem. They started with 3.69's and went to the 3.29's and saw a lot better performing car, Scott or Jeff can go into more details on their car, but with a csc id go with 3.29's, like I said thats just me and what ive seen.
Thanks for the info doug but this is what I got from Matt at Stattama.

"3.69's without a doubt.

Turbos NEED load in order to spool. That's why a 3.29 works better. What you lose in torque multiplication, you gain back by loading the turbo better. Plus, the Intense turbo car can't run 3.69s- it would be way too much RPM at the end of the 1/4 mile.

For a CSC, there is no question that 3.69s work much better than 3.29s.

Matt"

A csc is a little different than a turbo, but I understand what you are trying to say. I think I'm going to stick with Matt though. He's been my go to guy from day one. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
Thanks for the info doug but this is what I got from Matt at Stattama.

"3.69's without a doubt.

Turbos NEED load in order to spool. That's why a 3.29 works better. What you lose in torque multiplication, you gain back by loading the turbo better. Plus, the Intense turbo car can't run 3.69s- it would be way too much RPM at the end of the 1/4 mile.

For a CSC, there is no question that 3.69s work much better than 3.29s.

Matt"

A csc is a little different than a turbo, but I understand what you are trying to say. I think I'm going to stick with Matt though. He's been my go to guy from day one. Thanks anyway.

only difference is one is belt driven one is exhaust gas driven. But if you wanna go with his advice thats fine be me, Like I state earlier, those were just my opinions. Good luck with what ever gear you decide to go with on the build up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.