3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum, Ive tried a few other forums and it seems like everyone just ignores each other because Ive gotten no where with them. Anyway I have a 2000 3800 series camaro. Ive got a couple things wrong with it and Im just trying to get it working right. So I think I need to change my throttle position sensor. Normally this would be an easy task but Im sure as some of you know its riveted in place. This sucks. Ive read another post about someone else having this problem but it didnt get very far. Is there any way for me to drill out the rivets and replace it? I havent seen any new replacement parts online. But I read someone talking about getting a replacement. Im not 100% sure I need to change it but maybe someone can give me some insight, thanks guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
David - So why are you contemplating replacement of the TPS? It's riveted in-place because it's usually not a trouble-prone sensor!

It's far better to have a Pro hook your car up to a good scanner and identify problem areas, rather than just shotgunning various sensors on your own because you "think" they might be bad.

I'm not talking about having the guys at Autozone or O'Rielly's read a scan tool for free. You need a pro that understands the readings and can properly recommend the service items needing attention. This should cost less than $100 even at the dealer.

Example: An error code for a misfiring ignition coil. Most people would simply see this code and replace the coil... however, it's usually a bad plug wire or fouled spark plug, NOT the coil.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Have a pro check it out and properly diagnose the error codes. From there, you can spend your time and money replacing the real problems rather than guessing what it could be. You'll be a lot happier, less frustrated and have more fun driving your Camaro!

Hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David - So why are you contemplating replacement of the TPS? It's riveted in-place because it's usually not a trouble-prone sensor!

It's far better to have a Pro hook your car up to a good scanner and identify problem areas, rather than just shotgunning various sensors on your own because you "think" they might be bad.

I'm not talking about having the guys at Autozone or O'Rielly's read a scan tool for free. You need a pro that understands the readings and can properly recommend the service items needing attention. This should cost less than $100 even at the dealer.

Example: An error code for a misfiring ignition coil. Most people would simply see this code and replace the coil... however, it's usually a bad plug wire or fouled spark plug, NOT the coil.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Have a pro check it out and properly diagnose the error codes. From there, you can spend your time and money replacing the real problems rather than guessing what it could be. You'll be a lot happier, less frustrated and have more fun driving your Camaro!

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Im not sure if im reading this wrong but you seem really angry at me for asking this question. Anyway i thought there might be a problem with the tps because when giving a firm amount of throttle between 3rd and 4th gear it would hesitate and jump around. My check engine light came on saturday so i got home and read the code. I dont trust autozone or oreileys to read engine codes. Last time i did they game me an irrevelant code. I read the code with my scanner and got 4th cylinder misfire. Pulled ICM and found corroded up terminals. Cleaned with sandpaper and carb cleaner. Reinstalled and runs better than it ever has. I thought i would start with the tps at first because i though it may have been a problem. Correct me if im wrong but cars wont always throw a code even though you know something is wrong. And i realise the tps is riveted but that doesnt mean it wont go out. The catalytic converter is welded on to the exhaust but those dont last forever either. Instead of trying to make things harder for the consumer to replace, maybe they should have concentrated more on the soldering job on the bcm specifically the window controlls on it. Im new to camaros but im finding my way around it, i dont want to be shot down for asking. If you werent trying to sound so harsh my bad

·
Registered
187 Posts
Riveted? The TPS isn't riveted? It's held in by two Torx (T15?) screws and requires no adjustment to install. Old one out, new one in sort of thing.

Your 2000 is probably drive by wire so maybe that assembly is riveted but not the regular TPS you see on most all 3800 TBs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
David,

I'm really sorry if "Angry" is how my reply came across. Actually I was in a hurry when typing it up and probably wasn't as selective in my adjectives and/or typing style.

Anyway, I'm just trying to "steer" you away from a really bad practice. I know, 'cause that's how I used to try and fix things long ago that I didn't really understand well. Most of the time, I'd end up replacing the wrong thing, get frustrated and end up Angry! :)

From the other conditions you've described I'd suggest even more strongly to have the dealer or a good tuneup shop check over the overall condition of your engine, including hooking up a scanner and checking the codes.

If the basic stuff like good compression, a good fuel supply and efficient exhaust system aren't there, replacing sensors will yield really poor results. Just trying to help you and save you some $$ and a ton of frustration.

Best of luck with your Camaro!

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha alright, i just wasnt really sure because you seemed pissed at first but towards the end you were nice haha i dunno, anyway. Yeah i can understand most of the time replacing sensors is not the way to go but i really thought that was the issue, i thought the jumpy response was from the tps going bad, when i let off the gas and then floored it that would usually fix it. But like you said i was wrong. Its just one more thing ive learned. I would have never guess that i had a misfire. Im just very thankful my car threw that code. After i read the code and some help from threepointeight i had it fixed in a day or 2. I do.t have a ton of time because ive got a 9 month old haha, i didnt mean to sound rude, well i guess i did but i didnt realise you were just in a hurry! Sorry man!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.