3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a Miker C-ya tranny with 100 miles on it...He did go through the entine trans: New VB, HD hardened imput shaft, Single transverse chain assembly, 3.29's, new cluch packs with and extra plate, and a thrasser shift accumulater kit.

My question is the TC. I got a Percision 4847FJHB from him. The box had a couple trannies printed on it: 4T60E, 440T4, 2060. can you tell me if this is that dredded Sunfire TC. I got it before I went nuts and installed a MP112 ect so im not very confident that it will hold up to all the power it will be subjected too.

I originally was looking at Yank TC's. It looks like you guys have alot into you TC. Who makes them for you? I dont know what im going to do yet. I may put the stocker back in it or opt for yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whatever you do I would not put a stocker in there, go with the PTC's that Intense and ZZP sell. With the power you are making the stock one is going to balloon up rather fast.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Bob,

I am not familiar with precisions line of converters. What I can tell you is that the 4t60e converter didn't have a woven fiber tcc clutch that the 4t65e requires. So if this converter is labeled as being acceptable for a 4t60e, then
it either has a woven clutch that is acceptable for both, or has a "paper" that is substandard for a 4t65e. Perhaps the seller or manufacturer could answer this for you. If the converter is painted blue, then it is likely that is not acceptable for your car or power level. Additionally, it may not have furnace brazed fins etc. that make it more capable of handling your power.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
27 Posts
There were also a few of them out there that were painted Gold as well from Mike Dye that are the bad ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There really is 2 issues here. One, is this even a TC that is proper for a stock or slightly modded car? Two, wil lit fair up to my power levels?

From what you said Jeff it looks as if it is the wrong TC. Id better change it before a problem occurs.

The Miker TC isnt gold. I think this one was blue or black.

Which TC should I get? The 350 or 400. I have a TEP cammed, MP112, ICed, car that is mostly street with ocasional strip use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What are the disadvantages of having a stall that is possibly a little high for your car?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Streetability. I dont know if I want a stall that high. Im still looking into this whole situation. Not sure what im going to do.

As far as stock converters...Ive seen them in the 11's. However, thiis may not mean it will last very long.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a tc-350. Trust me you won't regret it. the stall is higher but not crazy high. Makes the car a blast to drive. My mpg went down but I think thats just cause it's fun to beat on!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i love my whole intense tranny. the TC -300 i got is awesome the car stay in the powerband all the time with it and 3.69 gears

ROB get a tq that is made to handle the power (intense) not some **** sunfire that miker used

·
Banned
189 Posts
Bob,

I would use a tcc-300 if the car sees the street very much at all. The 350 is too racey for everyday driving in my
opinion. By the way, our converters are built by Pro- Torque.

Big Jeff

·
Registered
174 Posts
whats the stock stall, ive heard 2200 ive heard 1800

I have a TCI prototype t/c that im testing and its 500 over stock

·
Registered
289 Posts
Rob,
How do you like your car with the thrasher cam in it? Have you dynoed the car yet? I had a thrasher, but before I had my MP112 installed, now I have the S3 N/B cam.
-Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a TCC300 and it's fine on the street. For me, I think the TCC350 would be a little too high for the street. It's up to the driver though. I had a friend that ran a converter that stalled somewhere around 4500 on his muscle car. That must have made for interesting stop and go driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats for all the good advice guys......Ive ran big slips up to 3500 on the street in Z28s ect.....For this car I want to be a little more consevative if possable. Im sure I can still be in the 11's with my combo and still be fun to drive on the street. My goal...

I still need to reaserch what I got from Miker...It stalls higher that the stocker which I believe is 1800rpms. Ive heard of guys stalling them much higher and I have KVR 12" vented rotors so I still am considering installing a new stocker...

Im stalling higher with the now believed S-10 converter....2200-2300...I really dont want anything any higher...Especially with a 2.8 or 2.6" pulleys as anticipated..I may not be able to launch this thing well with a 3500 anyway. I like the tourque down low too for the street effect. The smaller pulleys my copensate for the higher stall aswell. Will see.
We will see when I put the 2.8" on change the wire and burn a new PCM.....Someone said a stock converter will not be durable enough. My primary goal is a tc that will hold up and not pollute my trans. Zoom zoom is suposed to still be running a stocker in the 11's. I would like too even if it ment I had to change it every two years...

Hey Jeff, how long do you think a new stocker will hold with my combo...????? With just a few visits to the strip..

As far as the cam, I wish I had a INTENSE one S3 or Blower...The dual patter durations are a must for SCed cars and good running street cars cause the longer exhaust pattern clears the combustion chamber for better VE..Dont know why TEP designed there cam as a single pattern duration. I may run some 1.9s on the exhausts later...This will produce the same effect. I may need to to prevent boost stacking if this issue surfaces. But besides that its cool. It rumbles but I have alot more tuning to reep the full benefits of its profile. Sorry on the long post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts