3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a few more tenths out of my car without being obvoius. i want to stay away from a intercooler and headers because it scares people away. i have the 1.9 rockers so a cam won't work. i guess the next thing is trans components. so what helps the most a LSD or a Stall? plus i have the stock 97 trans with over 100,000 miles on it. it seems to be doing fine its holding up with mid to low 13's and 1.9 60's and nitto drag radials. but would either of these parts destroy my trans or would they help my trans?

·
Banned
189 Posts
Brad,

A torque converter will definitely wake the car up. If you aren't using slicks, then you really won't notice the benefit
of an L.S.D. Additionally, the torque converter will relieve stress on your trans due to a dramatic loss of rotating weight. A converter in the 3000 stall speed range would be a good choice for your mods. We have had tremendous success with the TCC-300.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
243 Posts
TC or LSD

I agree with BIG JEFF. An LSD will drop your 60' times by about .05 which equates to about .1 for your et's.(so I'm told) A torque converter will probably net you more gains. Both of which though are excellent mods for faster et's and longer trans life. It's up to you/your budget. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Jeff-
When installing a new TCC w/out doing a trans swap is it necessary to change the fluid in the trans or can the TCC be installed w/out changing any trans fluid?

·
Registered
47 Posts
sr71rgl said:
Hi Jeff-
When installing a new TCC w/out doing a trans swap is it necessary to change the fluid in the trans or can the TCC be installed w/out changing any trans fluid?
When you remove the converter you automatically remove a large part of you tranny fluid ( the fluid that is inside the converter ) plus the bleeding that's gonna accur once you remove it...you'll probably loose so much that you might as well change it.. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am so gald you asked this question, it's exactly where I'm at as well.

Big Jeff, with a shift kit thrown into the equation is a TC still recommended over the LSD on a stock 97' tranny w/ 116k on the odometer?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking back, I'd have chosen to do the converter instead of the LSD. I was just using street tires so I didn't get a noticeable gain out of the LSD.

This time around I'm doing a full trans and will be utilizing slicks so they're both no brainers now. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the TCC-300 good for a daily driven GTP aswell? I have been looking at the TCC-300 but did not know if that whould build up more heat on a daily driven 98 GTP.

·
Registered
713 Posts
bowtie929 said:
Is the TCC-300 good for a daily driven GTP aswell? I have been looking at the TCC-300 but did not know if that whould build up more heat on a daily driven 98 GTP.
This converter is very streetable, there are several members of my local club with this converter and from what I can tell it is a nice "street/strip" converter. I have the TCC-350 which i drive on the street occasionally, but would recommend it for a car that sees less street time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What exactly would make a high stalling converter "unstreetable", is it because it gets into the powerband too quickly for street driving, or is it because it puts extra stress on something?

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you put a 4000 stall tq in your car right now you would have to get up to like 2500rpm to even move from a light, so it would rev very high before it would go anywhere in the city. This is great for the strip though because you can break torque the motor to 3500/4000 and take off already well into your powerband instead of starting at 2,000 and having to chew through the rest under load.

·
Registered
347 Posts
now i c, I thought it would still get you moving reardless, do you happen to know about how high do you have to rev the 3500 stall to get moving?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dr.Phat said:
I am so gald you asked this question, it's exactly where I'm at as well.

Big Jeff, with a shift kit thrown into the equation is a TC still recommended over the LSD on a stock 97' tranny w/ 116k on the odometer?
I basically went this route and am very happy. My car is primarily a "daily driver" - Big Jeff recommended a shift kit, TC-300, and new gears to top it off. I was on the fence regarding the gears, but decided to go ahead and have them installed. This combination definitely wakes the car up. If you go this route, definitely consider new motor mounts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts