3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Buick regal Ls (soon to be supercharged)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any possibility of trying to recreate what zzp is doing with their intake manifolds (lower) and drilling the injector ports for a l36 into the l67 manifold. Is this possible with a drill press and a caliper plus patience or will you need to use a cnc machine with years of testing and precise adjustments. Some background information for this whole idea is that im in the middle of trying to top swap my 2002 Buick regal ls I've got a Eaton m90 gen v supercharger with the intake to match (I am trying to do this before I swap heads) I looked into the supercharger kit that zzp is selling was wondering if you could by the intake itself and sure enough but it was pretty pricy not so much in not willing to pay but enough that I was wondering if I could try making it myself, plus one person commented "For what is worth the item does work I'm really disappointed in the craftsmanship of this particular item what is shown in the picture is not what you receive for the money I spent on this I could have got a used one from the junkyard and drilled the holes and put the adapters in myself. " So then again my question to the forum can you do this yourself and what would be necessary?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Yeah, they want ~$400 for the machined version they make. (I'll detail my thoughts on DIY below.) By the time you got some used s/c heads with those ports, and some fresh head bolts/gaskets, you'd be in a better spot, if you have the L67 fuel rails/injectors, L67 pulley system, and tune it. Many folks tend to think that just getting ahold of an M90 means they're going supercharged, because much of the engine has common features, but by the time you're done, doing the complete top-swap is just much simpler and cheaper in the long run, giving you a base build compatible with any future parts you'd like to add, too. (I've done it a dozen times, on my own car and for many others.)

Drilling the machining yourself on a press is possible, if you're very meticulous with setup the same way a CNC machinist would be (but I think they add an insert afterwards, if you notice the shadows). The angles, location, and spacing would have to be measured from the original L36 LIM, so you could fixture the L67 LIM for all 6 hole as necessary. You'll also need to use specific drill/mill bits that create the right profile for injectors to seat and o-rings seal.

Photograph White Auto part Font Metal

Again, I'd shop for a junkyard L67 to pull what you need from, find a classified/marketplace/ebay listing, or get a discounted blown-up one from a car-part.com yard.

·
Registered
2002 Buick regal Ls (soon to be supercharged)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey dezldave I really appreciate the quick response and the great information this is pretty much exactly what I needed. For the inserts do you think that’s what the snouts of the injectors seat in or just support it. Could the holes you be drilling just be to hold the inserts? I am probably just going pull my l36 manifold and see how everything sits together regardless. Plus would I be potentially able to make those seats with some steel pipe and weld them on? Anything information helps, Thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
First, these are aluminum, which is a pain to weld, especially when it's cast. While I won't say you couldn't make something, I think you should consider everything involved, risking a vacuum leak or pressurized fuel leak is the potential outcome if done slightly incorrect.

I think you know the eventual decisions you need to make, and you'll be better off in the end when you do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts